Awesome Scrounging!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrounger

Feb 13, 2007
Rockford, MI
Last week my brother in law told me about a log along side the road in someones front yard with a free sign on it. Saturday morning I went and started cutting it up. It was a maple about 24" diameter and about 20' long right along the road. I was about half way done cutting it up when a truck pulled up and asked if I heated with wood. I said I did and he asked if I wanted some more wood. Sure, what ya got? It's maple, I own a tree service and have been cutting it up and dumping it, you can have whats left. I finished cutting and loading up my log, took it home and unloaded it. Met the tree service guy at the place where he was cutting up his maple. He had a tandem axle trailer already loaded with large maple chunks and said for me to hook up my truck and take it home to unload it. I quickly did then returned. His son and I loaded the rest of the wood on his trailer and I hauled that load home too. The pictures show my first maple log and the two loads from this tree service guy with the maple. It don't get much better than having it cut and already loaded on a trailer, and for free to boot! For size reference those are 55 gallon drums in the background of the one photo

Luke

Attachments

• maple.jpg
    maple.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 875
  • MVC-251F.JPG
    MVC-251F.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 870
Here's a second scrounge...... This trailer load was from Tuesday night off of craigs list. Homeowner said it was oak over the phone. I stopped and looked at it and it wasn't oak. I think it is a shaggy bark hickory. Had to haul it all out of his back yard and up a hill with a two wheel dolly, but hey it was free and already cut up!

Luke

Attachments

• hickory1.jpg
    hickory1.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 850
  • MVC-253F.JPG
    MVC-253F.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 851
Man it doesn't get any better than that. The first load (loads) look like sugar maple which is as good as maple gets, and I agree, the second load looks like hickory which is about as good a firewood as their is, both smell nice when you burn them too. There's one heck of a lot of BTU's sittin in your yard. NICE find!!

Great score! It's awful hard to beat free and easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.