awf Ultra-premium White Pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Morrissey

Feeling the Heat
Feb 25, 2009
Stoughton, Ma
Tried 1 bag of these great heat low,low ash. However the fines were horrendous. Has anyone had a decent batch? Maybe mine was handled badly. HD has lots of thgem, but 269 a ton.

Reactions: Mrr211
Jack,
Noticed similar results. Picked up 20 bags for $5.19/bag. They mistakenly had a sign for the regular hardwood pellets in front of these.
I noticed temps about 10-12 degrees warmer than the Stove Chow I have. Problem was just like yours though. About 2 1/2 the fines in the bag as the chow. I filled up a Red Solo Cup about halfway with the fines from a bag.
Got my bags from the Dartmouth store.
My take : pretty good pellet, good heat, slightly Less ash than stove chow, more than dbl the fines in the bags though. I won't oay the $5.68/bag. Quality over Stove Chow and FSU's I have just isn't big enough of an improvement.

Reactions: Jack Morrissey
These pellets are new to me being the AWF White Pine. I burned a couple of bags this week in my Harman p61a and also found them to burn very hot and there was very little ash. I've used Barefoot and Curran softwood pellets the past 4 years & the fines in the bags were much less compared to the AWF White Pine, plus it seems like the burn hotter than Barefoot, or the Curran softies. The Barefoot pellets I used for 2 years had a lot of ash & the Curran's a little less so, but both much more the the AWF W.P.

Cost was $4.99 bag, or $239.50 a ton in the Western NY area.

Reactions: Jack Morrissey
They have lots of fines. They tend to stick to the hopper wall also. I burned 5 tons last year. Great ash great heat. Too many fines too sticky.

My local HD manager just gave me a bag to try, I noticed vegetable oil listed on the ingredients. Waiting on a clean hopper to try them but has anyone noticed if they burn sooty?

I've only burned a couple of bags, but haven't noticed any soot as yet.

Before I purchased these I did some research on wood pellets made with different binders since I never saw it listed on the previous pellets I've used. On The AMF White Pine bag it says less than 1% vegetable oil & I discovered that vegetable oil is used by some manufacturers to lubricate the pellet die. I didn't contact AWF to inquire about this, but it may be that this is the case with the oil content being so low.

We're talking these right...

IMG_8559-600.JPG

I've read about softwood pellets on here and that they burn a little hotter and less ash but more $$. These are the only ones I've found from all the local places I've scoured so far. Found em at Menards. Picked up 4 bags just to give em a test run but its going to be warm this week in the 70's today so might be a while until I test them. They were pretty darn expensive! $6.49 / bag. I didn't ask is there was a ton discount but there was a sticker by the 6.49 that said $324.50 which corresponds to 6.49*50 so I'm guessing no discount. I'm looking for all the BTUs I can get, since I know this stove wont keep up in the middle of winter.

I tried these last year and found them to produce great heat and minimal ash. But they did tend to stick to the sides of my hopper. I noticed the new sticker that was placed on the bags. Which has some great information on it. I also notice the <1% vegetable oil content which is probably what they are using to lubricate the mills. If I find that I'm having a problem with the pellets sticking I'm going to try adding some hard woods to them to keep them moving. I was at HD Wareham today picking up a ton. Who presently have 72 ton sitting on the deck. Before I went in. I checked their web site and it is showing pellets at $5.19 a bag or $259.50per ton. But their store display shows $269.00 a ton. I inquired about the price difference at the front desk. The girl told me that they have not updated their web site and that the price is what it is. She also told me what pellets are out there might be the only ones they are getting for a while. Because no one knows when or if they are going to receive a shipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.