Awful Noise from Quadrafire Castile Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Caverill

Nov 19, 2016
Westminster, MD
Hello all,

Our pellet stove was making a terrible noise. We suspected the exhaust blower and I bought a new one and installed it. For about 15 minutes, the stove ran flawlessly.... then the noise returned. Below is a link to the youtube video I made with the sound:

It is a pretty terrible sounds. Any help in diagnosing this issue would be much appreciated!

Thank you,
Brett

Hello there!

Definitely the same noise as with the old blower. Auger is turning just fine. It's a bit noisy when it rotates and drops pellets but its a much quieter and distinctly different sound from that. Any additional pointers are appreciated!

Thank you for welcoming us to the thread!

I would contact or return from where it was purchased... From a stove shop or other?

Is the fan blade rubbing on anything? Sounds like more than a bearing issue.

question. does it start with the exhaust fan coming on, or when the convection fan starts ?

Reactions: Lake Girl
What you have is the shaft going in/out on the bearing (60 cycle AC).. hitting the fan against the frame. Cheap motor, is it a FASCO ? Bet not.
Might be able to take off fan, increase the distance from fan to side (allen wrench) and get a new FASCO replacement. Saw this problem on a replacement fan site stating "they are not responsible for this problem ? ? ? "

Hello everyone,

Thank you all for your replies. We gave up there for a while until I realized what the problem was on one last attempt.. Kappel15, it is absolutely the convection blower.. My husband used a head lamp and a mirror and we saw the convection blower essentially stopping and starting. The metal down there must be rubbing together and whatever is happening is causing the fan to hit something and struggle to turn. Can anyone offer any guidance on pulling the stove out to replace the part? It's a castile insert.

I'm sorry for not getting on to the forum and responding. We were just fed up with the darn thing!

Thank you,
Caitlin

Is something IN the stove hitting the fan ? A bolt or nut that has come loose and is hitting the fan >

Thanks guys. We went ahead and just ordered a new convection blower considering it was not replaced or services for nearly 10 years by the previous owner. But now the issue is accessing this part of the stove to make the replacement. Does anyone know how to access this or what approach we should use to pull the stove out? The exhaust blower and auger are quite accessible but this part is not.

Any insight is appreciated!
Thanks,
Caitlin

Yea,that one is a pain,for sure.Probably better to slide insert out.Most people built an 2x4 stand to set it on,so don't have to slide all the way off fireplace ledge.You can go to H&H technologies and download the "install" manual,lots of info.

Status
Not open for further replies.