Axe for 8 year old

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
my dad let me use his splitting maul at that age, a fiskars would scare me, to sharp, moving to fast, let him us a heavy maul for a while and see how it goes, then move on to the less forgiving fast moving axes. my 0.02

My son has been helping with the splitting since he was 8. He is now 11 and splits better than some of our grown up friends. He has an x25 and really likes it and uses it well. I built a guard that sits between him and the block that stops the fiskar if he misses the round or if he shoots through . I do stand or sit in a comfy chair while he works just to be safe

My son is now 11 and splits better than some of our grown up friends.

You need some new friends. How the hell are your current ones gonna be of any help?!? Well, unless they bring beer and DDG SO's>>

I have no kids, so what I say is prolly worth less than what I normally say . . .

seems to me that giving tasks - splitting wood or using a firearm - to a kid would depend on two things

Physical strength/coordination, but also thinking ability. I think an adult that has never split wood before needs a lot of supervision in the beginning. From time to time I still misjudge physcis and nearly get hurt.

Giving an automatic weapon to an 8-year-old was stupid. Go ahead, flame me.:ZZZ

Like the videos on UTube where a petite woman fires a weapon and the recoil makes her lose control of the gun. Initially, it looks funny, but that's only because no one caught a bullet. Rather stupid, if ya think about it.

:ZZZ:ZZZ:ZZZ

If it were me, I'd be guiding the 8 year old with an axe very carefully until I thought he knew what he was doing. And I'd make sure to note when he shows signs of tireness, as that's when accidents happen.

Don't let him run the 660 until he can start it himself>>

Thank you for everyone for there comments and concerns. I am very cautious with him with everything that he does. He is very mechanically inclined for an 8 yr old and at times gives me his thoughts and turns out to be right. I will be watching him like a hawk and as i stated would only be splitting small stuff for a few minutes at most.

Here is something funny! I got a grass seed spreader for easter along with some seed...he thought it was for him so yesterday while i'm at work and his mom was still sleeping he loads it up and seeds the grass! Trust me the axe will be under lock and key unlike the seeder.

Reactions: ScotO and pen
Rory, I think you have a very respectable approach and a great kid.

I think this thread is well answered.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.