Axe men is back

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
blueridgelvr said:
[quote[ adrpga498 - 03 March 2009 09:33 PM

Surprising to me how many aren’t wearing PPE while working.

I saw the same thing. Most of the time guys had hard hats but, unless they were wearing 'em under their pants, chaps were often missing... Thankfully they did highlight the one scene where the one guy (don't know names yet) was bucking the limbs on the tree and his saw kicked back into his leg. Showed how he cut through his jeans and almost into the chaps. At least he was wearing chaps![/quote]

I sit corrected, I did not see that scene. All I am trying to say is I hope most of us amateurs us PPE.

Is that the show with the older guy with a hook instead of a hand. He was hammering down trees with a 30 plus inch saw.
Who needs PPE. Great show.

I love those shows ! There are several: Extreme Logging, Helicopter Logging, Axe Man, and Dirty Jobs did one really nice episode on mule logging. I fantasize that I can do all of it . . . . but I know my physical limits. I love watching all those shows. My teenage boys think I'm a wierd Mom.

I got hooked on ax men last season... love it. Totally changed the way I fell trees, specificly the way I cut my notch. I love the addition of water logging this year, as I am an avid boater too.

I watched that episode last night. Inept is generous. I think it's kind of like Orange Cty Choppers. people watch it waiting for the train wreck. I quit watching that one after the first season, too much drama

They started a new show called American Loggers on the Discovery channel which is on Friday night about a French/Maine family's large logging business. It actually takes place baseed out of my hometown and I know most of the guys. It seems almost weird to watch it. They should be on episode 3 out of 10 next week. Mike

I tried to watch the american loggers but it's just boring to me. I love, LOVE heli-loggers because it shows a lot of saw work. I like watching trees get felled with saws, not machines. The american loggers show seemed to be mostly about trucking the logs.

American Loggers is a much closer example of what goes on with logging crews . I think alot of the drama on AX Men is staged or put on although some douche baggery does occur on some of my crews.

Last summer I got "roped" into being in my friends wedding which was being filmed for the show "My Big Redneck Wedding" much to my chagrin. The producer and camera men singled out the pranksters and simpletons , took note of who they were and proceeded to try and instigate/coerce douch baggery out of the wedding party. The show has nothing to do with the participants and everything to do with ratings.

Axe Men all carry their saws into the woods on their shoulders without any sheath covering the blade. I'd be concerned about the blade on my neck if I tripped... Maybe they use dull saw chains for the 'stunt saws'?!

I know most of those guys and their families from Axe Man. And no, they don't stage anything.

I have been in radio for a while now, and have some experience in tv as well. I will say that im sure some of the drama is staged. tv would be boring without it. That being said, most of what you see is real. Think about it. they film these crews for months. then edit it all down into a few hours of tv. they are bound to capture alot of fighting and arguing. who wants to watch them all work safely and without problems then shake hands and tell each other "good job" at the end of the day? no one.

my nine year old was watching it with me this week, and i looked at him and said that we are NEVER going into business together, because we would be exactly like the the aqua logger guy and his son. we act like that when we are out in the woods doing our firewood, no embelishment.

D/F said:
I know most of those guys and their families from Axe Man. And no, they don't stage anything.

What happened to Melvin and the stump branch crew?

I know some of the guys from American Loggers and can say that incidents were "reconstructed", though it stated that on the screen. Some scripting was provided by the producers. You can't expect the cameras to catch everything at every moment.

Mike

Possible spoiler.............................

Here's one thing that wasn't staged ... there's an article in the paper this morning about the river logger dude. I guess he didn't have any permits to harvest those logs out of the river and the law saw the show and looked into it... they seized the timber and I imagine there are going to be fines in his future! Of course he was pretty dodgy if you ask me and they didn't have a clue what they were doing.

I always was told that Stihl was the best. But watching the shows , I see that they all seem to be using Huskies. Now I have a reason to bother my wife to buy one of those next time we're at TSC. :)

On March 13, 2009, the Washington State Department of Natural Resources served a search warrant on S&S;to seize more than two dozen logs salvaged from the Hoquiam River. A fish and wildlife official stated that the department may grant permits to remove such logs if they can cause a logjam and flood rivers; S&S;did not have a permit for its activities.

Leave it to Me, too put the cart before the horse,,,but,,, ANY MAN who quits and walks off the job for two days,,and then shows without so much as a phone call,,and then CANT look a MAN in the FACE while shaking his hand,,,is a B**ch! Period! (or did the edit crew do him wrong)?

Abhoth said:
Possible spoiler.............................

Here's one thing that wasn't staged ... there's an article in the paper this morning about the river logger dude. I guess he didn't have any permits to harvest those logs out of the river and the law saw the show and looked into it... they seized the timber and I imagine there are going to be fines in his future! Of course he was pretty dodgy if you ask me and they didn't have a clue what they were doing.

The dude was a complete doosh, but I'm pretty sure those logs fall under the auspices of the marine salvage laws. He might need a business license or something but the logs should be free game.

If you are doing something without permits, something in the grey area of legality - don't be a complete moron and go on TV with it. Make sure you have all your ducks in a row first.

Last night they should the river guy telling his son to "go ahead and hit me." I cannot believe his boy just walked away and didn't let him have it. I was actually thinking of flying out to Oregon and taking him up on the offer. Then the guy has enough audacity later in the show to give his son a hug and say how much he loves him. That boy has more heart than me because I am pretty sure I would have replaced that buried log in the river with his motionless body.

hahhaahahaha - I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds him a complete ass.

bambam said:
Last night they should the river guy telling his son to "go ahead and hit me." I cannot believe his boy just walked away and didn't let him have it. I was actually thinking of flying out to Oregon and taking him up on the offer. Then the guy has enough audacity later in the show to give his son a hug and say how much he loves him. That boy has more heart than me because I am pretty sure I would have replaced that buried log in the river with his motionless body.

Don't do that. You'd end up having to rent a car and drive north to Grays Harbor County.

Status
Not open for further replies.