1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Axe reviews

Post in 'The Gear' started by new_wood, Feb 15, 2013.

1. new_wood

new_wood Member

Loc:
    Lebanon, Ohio
    Just looking for some suggestions/comments on different axes for manually splitting rounds. I know that a lot of people are very happy with the Fiskars X27 so I am going to take a look at that one but curious if there are any others that someone would recommend or suggest you stay away from. Thanks in advance for the replies.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Mr A

Mr A Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N. California
    Fiskars X27 is a finesse tool. I have a 10 pound all steel maul that is no match for the 5 pound Fiskars
  3. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    How tall are you? How would you rate your physical strength? What size and type of wood to you normally split?
  4. FrankMA

FrankMA Member

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley - Northeastern MA
    Gransfors Bruks has really nice high end axes, splitting axes and mauls. Be careful if you visit their website as you may get the urge to buy something. www.gransfors.com
  5. new_wood

new_wood Member

Loc:
    Lebanon, Ohio
    I am 6' tall, 215 lbs. I would consider myself average strength. I am 38 years old. Mostly right now I am splitting silver maple and starting to get into some ash.
  6. new_wood

new_wood Member

Loc:
    Lebanon, Ohio
    So what price range does the Fiskars X27 run?
  7. Prof

Prof Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Western PA
    An x 27 will set you back about $50, maybe less if you shop around. I just checked Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-7884-...8&qid=1360992053&sr=8-1&keywords=fiskars x 27

Great tool in my opinion. There is plenty of info on here about them, but most who have them seem to be fans. I split a variety of hardwoods of various sizes, and I use my x 27 for about 80% of the work. A sledge and wedge takes care of what the Fiskars won't.
  8. KodiakII

KodiakII Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Eastern Ontario
    On sale up here at Canadian Tire for $47.99. I am going to p/u one of their hatchets today for 23 bucks.
  9. new_wood

new_wood Member

Loc:
    Lebanon, Ohio
    Thanks frank. I will check them out.
  10. KodiakII

KodiakII Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Eastern Ontario
    Checked em out, watched a ytube vid on them,...now I've gotta have one. The maul is a little spendy....but...