Axe Sharpness?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blueflame75

Oct 1, 2009
Upstate NY
Should a wood splitting axe have a dullish or sharp edge to it? same goes with a maul axe?

axe-sharp, maul dull.

Maul should have a much wider angle at the edge.

Putting your maul to a grinding wheel to sharpen the edge helps a little, just don't dry narrow the andle to make it morelike an axe.

My dad use to say there was nothing more dangerous than a dull axe. In his day it was a go to tool I suppose now a days a wood burner can go a lifetime without using one. I've never bought a single one but have 5 different ones in my possession...plus a few hatchets. All very sharp and oiled up.

On my Fiskars I would say sharp enough to shave with, literally.

thanks all for the pointers. my chopping axe is razor sharp. i will be getting a maul soon. what do y'all recommend?

blueflame75 said:
i will be getting a maul soon. what do y'all recommend?

I recommend the Helco Tomahawk.

blueflame75 said:
thanks all for the pointers. my chopping axe is razor sharp. i will be getting a maul soon. what do y'all recommend?

The Fiskars Super Splitting axe will out perform any maul.

Status
Not open for further replies.