Axes are for throwing contests! I just picked up one of these

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

willyswagon

Burning Hunk
Mar 18, 2012
PEI, Canada
www.straitshine.com
I have been spending alot of time thinking if I should go ahead a buy a splitter as opposed to rent.
I know the numbers don't usaully work out for the purchase route, but I'm going to rent my services out in order to pay for it.

I had been reseaching different models around here and it was down to the Split Fire 2260. Which features a very fast 6 sec cycle time but no other options. Or a Mighty Mac which is produced in Nova Scotia (about 4 hrs away). I have been seaching Kijiji ans the other used selling spots, then last night about 10pm I found a Mighty Mac 25" model with the opitional 4 way splitting blade.

I emailed the guy right taway and asked the story on it. He had it for two yrs, bought it to use on his summer property, and used it to split the grand total of 1 cord. He is now selling the property and is selling all of the toys.

At 8 am I called the company that built it and asked what a new 25" model was worth and told him about this one and how much the guy wanted. The owner told me to grab it and if it turns out I didn't like it he would give me $400 more than I was about to pay.

I jumped in the rig and grabbed it. When I got there I was going to measure it but I could tell right away that it would take more than a 25" stick. As it turns out it is the 28" model:)

Me so happy;)

Here is a link to the site, it doesn't have the log lift...yet!

http://www.mactrailersandequipment.ca/Log_Splitter.html

congratulations!

Now that is a super buy!

Sounds like a good deal but you forgot to mention what you paid for it! ==c

The 25" sells new for $2599 plus taxes, the 28" with the four way splitting blade is $2850 plus taxes ,so a litlle under $3300 new.

I picked it up for $ 1700

As you can see on the web site this guy builds some nice stuff. The previous owner had bought a machine for removing the tires from rims for his car salvage yard from the same builder. It works very similar to the log splitter only holds the tire and it punches the rim through the tire. He told me it would take about 10 sec from the time you placed the tire on the machine till the tire and rim were separate. Now that's saving time, and therefore making $$$

I am not knocking the machine specs (cuz all MFGS do it), but a 4" ram at 2600 psi does not add up to 20 tons. It calculates out to 32,656 psi or a bit over 16 tons. Just pointing it out.;)

Nice looking unit - and GET THAT LOG LIFTER. You will love it.

Ya I dont' care so much about the rating as I do about the perfomance. I just did some 26" long X 24" dia popalar blocks.

The sliding shelves on this thing are the bomb! No more bending over to pick up splits off the ground. I love it!

I can't wait for November to come so I can get caught up on the yard work and split next years wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.