Axes?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Duke

Jan 14, 2007
Hi Guys,

Looking for some help here. I need to buy an axe... I think. I need to split some larger pieces of the fly while i'm bringing it into the house everynow and then. As well as to make up some kindeling. Anybody have suggestions on what to by?? camp axe, pack axe, size weight brand???
Thx
The Duke

30+ ton home built splitter. I have 10 cord split and stacked as of now. When you say maul do you mean with a sledge hammer and maul? Or a splitting maul with a handle (axe like)??

Bunch of choices, though it sounds like you are more looking for something on the small side capability wise - you already have the power for the big stuff...

I'm guessing that you are mostly going to be wanting to either take a litte off a piece you've already split but didn't quite get small enough, or make some kindling wood... (Actually for the latter, what I do is save some of the scrap junk generated by the splitter, it dries pretty fast and makes great kindling w/ no added effort...)

Sounds like you probably want a splitting axe or hatchet, as opposed to a maul. Mauls tend to be used more for bigger peices, the kind of job you'd use your splitter for. A splitting hatchet or axe has a head similar to a conventional chopping axe, but usually has fatter sides, or bumps on the sides intended to help lever the target apart. They aren't real good on knots and gnarly stuff, but for reasonably straight grain they work great.

From the reviews of others, I'd suggest looking into the "Fiskars" brand, never tried one myself, but most of the folks commenting on them seem to like their products.

Gooserider

I've been using an 8 pound maul, wedges and a 'torpedo' splitter, a regular axe, and a short 'camp hatchet'. Each has its place. I wouldn't give up any of them. Oh, and the neighbor's 20 ton splitter came in real handy and I'm looking forward to working with that again, too.

If you are just splitting splits smaller, get the axe first. If you are needing to split rounds, get the maul first. If you need to split really small stuff, the hatchet is best- it's lightest and has the best control.

Most any cheap axe will do. If you want to spend $$- Snow and Neally are a solid choice
http://www.baileysonline.com/search.asp?PageNo=2&SKW=axe&catID=39

If you want to spend a lot of money and have an heirloom- Gransfors Bruks is the way to go.

For splitting kindling, a decent hatchet or a splitting froe would be good.

You can scrounge up the splitter trash and use that, as well.

Adios Pantalones said:
Most any cheap axe will do. If you want to spend $$- Snow and Neally are a solid choice
http://www.baileysonline.com/search.asp?PageNo=2&SKW=axe&catID=39

If you want to spend a lot of money and have an heirloom- Gransfors Bruks is the way to go.

For splitting kindling, a decent hatchet or a splitting froe would be good.

You can scrounge up the splitter trash and use that, as well.
Got to like that one!

The Duke said:
Hi Guys,

Looking for some help here. I need to buy an axe... I think. I need to split some larger pieces of the fly while i'm bringing it into the house everynow and then. As well as to make up some kindeling. Anybody have suggestions on what to by?? camp axe, pack axe, size weight brand???
Thx
The Duke

1) Fiskars

2) Fiskars

thanks guy, just ordered a Gransfors Bruks splitting axe (large) from highland woodworking... look pretty sweet!!

Woooo. Nice axe. I think I'd be afraid to swing that fella but it may make a nice Christmas present for someone.

1.fiskars

2. fiskars.

Good call big red

fiskars splitting axe will destroy anything with accuracy and precision. i have a 12lb monster maul for the knotted rounds that i hit a couple times with the fiskars and the head isnt wide enough to split the stringy maple all the way down, but 95 out of 100 swings is with the fiskars. would never go back to anything with a wood handle again.

Good call with the Gransfors large splitting axe; I love mine. I got it, along with the splitting maul from Gransfors, this summer and have split about 7 or 8 cords so far. 75% oak with some ash, apple, locust and maple too. So far it's been a champ and I can swing it a long time without getting worn down.

I've got an 8lb sledge that I use with a wedge for the tougher stuff and I can't imagine swinging something that long and heavy for very long. I've recently found with the large splitting axe I can leave the smaller rounds (up to 10 inches or so) laying on their side on the ground, then swing the axe kind of like a golf club. Then keep swinging the same way until the pieces just keep getting smaller and smaller. I'm amazed how small of a piece the axe will split in two using this method; I'm a big believer of having a razor sharp splitter. Makes quick work not having to bend down and pickup/reset the wood before each swing.

Alan

WoodButcher80 said:
1.fiskars

2. fiskars.

Good call big red

fiskars splitting axe will destroy anything with accuracy and precision. i have a 12lb monster maul for the knotted rounds that i hit a couple times with the fiskars and the head isnt wide enough to split the stringy maple all the way down, but 95 out of 100 swings is with the fiskars. would never go back to anything with a wood handle again.

http://www.fiskars.com/webapp/wcs/s...=10101&langId;=&productId=10530&storeId=10001

Best ax ever. Small enough to be a big hatchet, big enough to swing with two hands. It's an outstanding splitter but it actually chops pretty good too.

I use a 4.5 lb splitting axe and just hold the handle real close to the head and down at the bottlom of the handle and kind of pull up the lower as I'm pushing down the head and that is usually enough to resplit the stuff I'm about o take insie.

Status
Not open for further replies.