B.B.Q. squirrel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

St_Earl

Minister of Fire
Sep 9, 2011
millinocket, maine
"Crews from Emera Maine are repairing damage to a substation in Millinocket caused by a squirrel coming in contact with equipment. Towns affected are Millinocket, Seboeis Plantation, Cedar Lake Township, Indian Purchase and several unorganized territories. Workers will remain on the scene restoring customers safely, and as quickly as possible."

this is the longest outage since we moved here 4+ years ago.
nice time to test out the new generator set up in the shed.
everything is working great. i plumbed the exhaust out of the shed and also have run the power cord under the floor/along the basement ceiling.
all my cords for the pellet stove, modem, pc etc... are pre placed and the ground wire is permanently connected to the genny.
took me just minutes to get everything up and running.
i'm really glad i never had to set up outside under the steps in the dark on a sub zero night.

the genny is firmly blocked in so it doesn't move and stress the exhaust connection at all.

Apparently, squirrels are multi-use and very dangerous…

SquirrelStab.jpg

What do you have for an air intake?
My auto back up generator is located outside and had a problem getting filled with snow. My latest solution is a V made out of two sections of stockade fence facing due North. If that doesn't work I'm looking at a new shed like yours.

My generator required a lot of shoveling to keep clear last winter. I swore I would have it elevated before this winter but a couple of other projects had higher priority. Oh well, next year.

DSC02193.JPG

I was looking at this:

http://generatorsondemand.com/snow-riser/

Reactions: Jake86
I live on a lake, and the wind comes across it like a B52. Snow never has a chance to get deep, just blows on bye. My kid, while parked in front of the house, couldn't start his car, opened the hood and it was pAcked with snow-.just like my generator. Stilts won't help me.

Ah - OK. Then your design challenge is to block the wind without stifling the generator. The "V" into the wind combined with the shed roof sounds like a good idea.

During a seven day outage in 2010 I had to dig this path to my genny shack out three times. Worse is that the wood stacks were thirty feet to the right. Wood and genny sheds are now right outside the back door.

Glad we don't have winters in Virginia.

the big one the path to the generator.JPG

Last edited:
"Crews from Emera Maine are repairing damage to a substation in Millinocket caused by a squirrel coming in contact with equipment. Towns affected are Millinocket, Seboeis Plantation, Cedar Lake Township, Indian Purchase and several unorganized territories. Workers will remain on the scene restoring customers safely, and as quickly as possible."

this is the longest outage since we moved here 4+ years ago.
nice time to test out the new generator set up in the shed.
everything is working great. i plumbed the exhaust out of the shed and also have run the power cord under the floor/along the basement ceiling.
all my cords for the pellet stove, modem, pc etc... are pre placed and the ground wire is permanently connected to the genny.
took me just minutes to get everything up and running.
i'm really glad i never had to set up outside under the steps in the dark on a sub zero night.

the genny is firmly blocked in so it doesn't move and stress the exhaust connection at all.
What do you have for a intake for air?

What do you have for a intake for air?
it's a 10x10 metal shed with corrugated roof and walls. ( so lots of open spaces.) no problem at all for air.
i left one door open just because it wasn't very cold out.
but in the dead of winter, excess heat won't be even close to being an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.