B-vent Efficiency

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ehouse

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2011
Upstate NY
Why are b-vent stoves less efficient than direct vent and by how much, in general? Is it because using room air pulls in cold air through infiltration? Seems like this wouldn't cause that much of a difference. I would think they'd be at least as efficient as an air tight wood stove. I have a Hearthstone Sterling B-vent that needs a gas valve and am wondering if I should bother to fix it since B-vent stoves seem to get such a bad rap.

Ehouse

Using room are in this case does lower the efficiency quite a bit - especially since the flues on these are usually open all the time - that is, air moves up them constantly even when the stove is not on.
However, it would still be as efficient as most wood stoves! As an example, a good B-vent gas stove might be 60% efficient, while a top direct vent might be 75%.
Most woodstove fall in that range also.

Status
Not open for further replies.