b vent reline question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rob bennett

Feb 19, 2008
Lynden, Washington
I just rebuilt my chimney. I have a 50 gal natural gas water heater in the basement. It used to be vented just in the terra cotta flue. That wrecked the flues of course. Now the chimney is about 15 feet of cotta flue then an open chimney the last 9 feet.

So I am looking at relining with the duravent aluminum liner kit.

Will I be ok code wise to just run the liner without insulation? I can't find it specifically listed in any literature.

Thanks!

Burning Sensation said:
I just rebuilt my chimney. I have a 50 gal natural gas water heater in the basement. It used to be vented just in the terra cotta flue. That wrecked the flues of course. Now the chimney is about 15 feet of cotta flue then an open chimney the last 9 feet.

So I am looking at relining with the duravent aluminum liner kit.

Will I be ok code wise to just run the liner without insulation? I can't find it specifically listed in any literature.

Thanks!

As long as it's ran in a masonry chimney you are fine... Some would say line it with insulation but with gas it's not as important as your not running very high temps and their is no creosote.

Yeap with gas you are fine just with the alum liner no insulation. As long as it is in masonry all the way through the roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.