B&W vid of my NC-30 getting a little extra toasty this morning.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jcims

Nov 18, 2008
Midwest
Stove is in the basement, so I put this camera up so I can peek at the temps from my desk upstairs. I've gotten much better at managing temps, but something went nuts this morning.

You couldn't see the glow with your eyes. (Note the time is sped way up)

Wow, Impressive. But you said that you could see with your eyes? Things that make you go mmmmmm.....

chvymn99 said:
Wow, Impressive. But you said that you could see with your eyes? Things that make you go mmmmmm.....

No, the cameras are standard day/night security cams and are very sensitive in the near infrared range. The thermometer was just past 900, probably 950-1000 degrees. I just like the last frame where the thermometer is backlit by the stove top...lol

My crystal ball tells me that you are going to have a high heat paint job in your future.

pen

My crystal ball tells me there will be another door failure thread in the near future.

I'm not even going to guess what the temps got at...but by the stove turning white on the top I think you might be looking at some repair work in the future.

If you read the OP's post #2 I think you'll find that this "glow" can only be perceived through the security camera. In other words when he went down to investigate and was standing right in front of the stove he could not see the glow. Also seeing that the video is in B&W I'm guessing the glow would have been dull red not white-hot.

Why would this cause a door failure?

Black Jaque Janaviac said:
If you read the OP's post #2 I think you'll find that this "glow" can only be perceived through the security camera. In other words when he went down to investigate and was standing right in front of the stove he could not see the glow. Also seeing that the video is in B&W I'm guessing the glow would have been dull red not white-hot.

I understand that....the OP mentioned that the stove temps were plus 950...just seems a tab bit high to run for continued burns.

Been there, unfortunately...more than I would care to admit. Put some tape on the secondary intake and it is under control now for me. I think your door will definitely be fine, but if your 30 is anything like mine, you'll need a paint touch up. Other than that, I would guess you are alright, the 30 is a tank.

Nearly everyday there is a new post on here about somebodies door not sealing well. Door frames warped, stove fronts warped and you name it. Happened to me to with my Magnolia and I was running the stove hard. Just saying stove temps over 700 for very many times may be a little tough on the stove.

Black Jaque Janaviac said:

You said it better than I could have. This was a high water mark for me...I generally operate at 450-500, occasionally will hit peaks of 600-650, but I will turn it down if it gets that hot. The whole reason for the camera is I want to keep an eye on it.

In this case I turned it back down about two minutes after the video ended. It was idling at 500-550 for a little while then took off like a rocket. As far as what it looked like, aside from the pegged thermometer, it didn't look any different. I was looking, too, because I had heard of folks with glowing stovetops, no dice. The 'Draper point' is ~977F, the point at which blackbody radiation is visible to the human eye, so I was right on the bubble.

I guess I would say make sure you are free of any creosote in your pipes at those temps i would think it will ignite which can lead to the dread CF.

Status
Not open for further replies.