BABY BEAR and MAMA BEAR owners - how tall is your stove? and how tall are the legs?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trx680

Sep 27, 2011
Petersburg Virginia
I'm exploring options for a stove for my fireplace insert.Looking at the Fisher spec page here it gives all the measurements except the height of the stoves. My fireplace is only 26 1/4" high, so I need to know how high the Baby and Mama bear is at its highest point, the rear.

And how tall are the legs? I've seen once where someone trimmed the legs shorter to make it fit.

thank you!!

Height is not given in specs due to variable overall measurement. Top vent pipe adds to stove height. Stove depth INCLUDES rear vent pipe and ash fender projections. Stoves only available with top vent (Goldilocks, Teddy Bear, Honey Bear, Coal Bear TF-88) give height including top vent pipe for overall height.

You are asking a question there is not a single answer for.
There are two styles of stoves from the Bear Series. The first (I and II) have angle iron corners that become legs.
The second style (VI) is a box made with bent corners with weld-on or removable legs.
So height varies from a Series I and II with angle iron corners and the VI.
For the VI version there are also optional legs called "Fireplace" (welded on) or bolt on Straight, Furniture, and Bear Leg. They all vary the stove height, so ads and literature will only state "height varies with optional legs".

You can't consider the "old type" with angle iron corners '"old and new" since the old style was continued to be made for years after the new UL Listed style VI started in 1980. The "old" style was made along with the new for people who didn't need a UL Listed stove or wanted to set them on a non-combustible hearth. They were offered $100 cheaper. They also have no shields.

The following measurements are for the first style with angle iron corners;
The "correct" length (height) given in drawings for fabricators to cut rear legs (1 1/2 X 1 1/2 angle iron) for Papa and Mama Bear (I and II) is 30 inches. Add the thickness of top and you get 30 5/16 high. The rear leg is part no. 206 MB-PB.

The back sheet of Mama and Papa is 24 inches high. (making the angle iron legs extend 6 inches below the stove box)
NFPA 211 Standards have sections that go by stoves with 6 inch and over leg length and under 6 inch leg length for different floor protection. So 6 inch is normally the minimum a fabricator would make. Some made the legs longer, so some will measure 7 inch leg length raising the stove an inch. If a customer needed more or less, the fabricator would build what the customer needed including different size outlet pipe.

(Front leg length is 24 inches for Mama and Papa)

Baby Bear rear leg length (height) is 25 3/4. Again add top thickness of 5/16 for overall height. This is part no. 106 BB.
(Front legs are 21 inches)
The back sheet of Baby Bear is 19 inches high. (making the angle iron legs extend 6 3/4 below stove box)

I gave you the rear sheet height so you know how high the flue pipe exits stove. The rear flue is supposed to be a 6 inch OD pipe. (on the older stoves, 6 inch ID on newer) The pipe center is 5 inches down from top edge of rear sheets.
That will give you pipe height and stove top height so you know how much you need to cut legs.
You can only install on non-combustible hearth once legs are cut, or replace legs with full length angle iron which is not difficult on the back. They should only be welded top and bottom for expansion. Front legs are much more difficult to replace since door hinge plates are welded to angle iron corners.

Note I use the words "supposed to be" since all these measurements are from the original prints. (drawings) All fabricators all had their own way of fabricating and welding parts. There are many reasons people are going to find variances in measurements. You can only compare stoves built by the Dunn Brothers in your area to what you find locally. Comparing stoves built by fabricators across the country are going to vary. One major variance is Georgia to your South never tapered the legs. Most others made them to the standard of a 4 inch taper down to 1 inch at the bottom.

Last edited:
Here is Fisher literature showing the overall height across the top line for models after 1980 with the UL Listed box WITHOUT angle iron corners. (Standard Legs)

Insert Literature 2.jpg Insert Literature 3.jpg These pics are from collectable brochures I will not copy and post since many copyrighted manuals are being copied and sold online. This will give you the specs of the newer stoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.