Baby Bear Handles Stuck Down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tcb

Oct 25, 2021
BC
Hello,

Found this wonderful forum a little while back while starting the hunt for a woodburner for our cabin.

A Fisher Baby Bear has made its way into the garage. It needs some love which I am happy to give it.

Most pressing issue is the handle is stuck down. Not having much luck freeing it up. I’m getting enough pressure on it to start bending things and back off at that point.

Previous owner jerry rigged the spring to keep the door closed.

Any tips to loosen this handle off?

Should it be able to rotate 360 degrees?

Should I be working it counter or clockwise?

Currently soaking in penetrating lube around the little washers on either end.

IMG_0585.jpeg
IMG_0586.jpeg IMG_0587.jpeg

Last edited:
What penetrating fluid are you using?

It takes time to rust and become solid, and takes time to soak in to penetrate.

Kroil is one of the best and more expensive penetrants. But it works. Had a brake drum rusted on a hub that heating with a large hammer between lug studs did not break loose. Sprayed with Kroil and ate lunch. The drum pulled off like it was never rusted. Could not believe it. It was in my grandsons truck, and I even asked him if he got it loose. He didn’t touch it!

PB Blaster is common. Warming and allowed to cool expands and contracts the bonded joint.

If you have another working stove, set door on it. Keep it soaking from both sides. Multiple heating and cooling cycles should loosen it up.

I had a corroded brake line on an aluminum master cylinder where the steel inverted flare brake line fitting was rotating the steel brake line on the steel tubing. The master cylinder was leaking down ax the brake pedal was held, so fluid was only leaking back into reservoir slowly holding pedal down, bleeding down over time. I had the new master cylinder and sprayed it a few times, and forgot about it for a month. The heating and cooling of engine next to it, along with time came loose like it was never rusted. Couldn’t believe how easy the fittings rotated on the rusted lines.

Once it starts to move, soak the penetrating fluid on it giving it time to soak in. If you don’t have another stove, a light bulb or heat lamp expands the cast door. Hot water on the boss extending out of the cast door expands it too, on the boss and door. Keep the shaft of handle cool. Use the coefficient of expansion.

Thanks for the advice.

Had it soaking with PB overnight but still tight. Will start with some heat here this evening after work.

Any idea if there are stops in the handle or does it spin 360?

Based on the ramp welded in the stove I believe it hooks tight by rotating counter clockwise to about 11pm to stay tight.

The only doors with stops are a big round stop on the back of door.