Baby bear make over

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WeldrDave

Feeling the Heat
Nov 14, 2012
New Jersey
These are images of my Baby bear project.
With help from coaly and another, I added a baffle which i'm sure will help heating. After I looked closely at her while she was at parade rest, you could see day light around the 6" pipe in the back for the flue pipe. I have to say the welding was "horrible" on this stove, so I corrected a few things and added some things as well. On the lower top, I did something some will find strange but I added a "pot rail" on each side. There is a story but won't go there now, it keeps hot things from falling off, "and not from an earth quake" She still has a bit to go and I'm looking fwd to installing her this spring for next winter.
The things you don't see is I sand blasted the door and stove before paint so more to come.

Dave

DSCN0737 2.JPG DSCN0744.JPG DSCN0754.JPG DSCN0756.JPG DSCN0750.JPG DSCN0761.JPG DSCN0745.JPG DSCN0764.JPG DSCN0762.JPG DSCN0736.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: pen and raybonz
A Baby Bear with sea legs. Amazing.

Legend has it that Hesston in Kansas welded the flue pipe on the inside, before assembling the back to the stove.
They made the most boxes and sent them to licensed fabricators for finishing and door fitment.
(secondary air holes around the flue collar may be a good idea) That's the hottest part of the stove with no baffle....

Reactions: WeldrDave
Thats funny you mention sea legs, I have a very dear friend who put a stove on his boat, "not sure what brand" and he and his wife happen to be around nova scotia about now. They wanted to sail a north trip for the winter, I love to sail but thats a bit extreme for me.
I'll get into the pot rail later, but as far as the welding issue, I only had about 3" of weld holding the 6" flue in place., so you see what I did on the back. I've already started to look at my Mama bear close, she is next on the make over list but she doesn't look nothing like the Baby.

When all is said and done, I'm gonna drag Grandma out in the next year or two and give her the once over, she deserves it, she has been steaming along for the last 20 years or so.

Nice work on the stove and great looking welds!

Ray

Reactions: WeldrDave
Thanks much Ray!, It's my first go at it doing stoves and having fun:)... Ships are more up my alley but finding this very therapeutic.

Thanks much Ray!, It's my first go at it doing stoves and having fun:)... Ships are more up my alley but finding this very therapeutic.
Wood burning is addictive :) Did you do the welding as the flue collar looks great.. I was in the Navy 75-78 then drilled in reserves 78-80..

Ray

Yes, I was a Navy Hull tech, 8 years, 85 to 93, was a HP boiler, steam welder, all pressure hydraulic and became a CWI/CWE, graduate of hobart welding tech, Did ship yard inspection, hull work then decided to go back active in the USCG.
Thanks for the kind words!

Reactions: raybonz
A couple more pictures, paint still drying on front view.

Attachments

• DSCN0760.JPG
    DSCN0760.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 291
  • DSCN0763.JPG
    DSCN0763.JPG
    205.5 KB · Views: 295
  • DSCN0748.JPG
    DSCN0748.JPG
    212.9 KB · Views: 338
Reactions: raybonz
Thank you very much!, I just finished her up, all but the new spring handle coming from woodman's pictures attached.

I received some great advice here, couldn't do it with out help! Great people here to learn from.:cool:

Attachments

• DSCN0765.JPG
    DSCN0765.JPG
    203.5 KB · Views: 296
  • DSCN0766.JPG
    DSCN0766.JPG
    221.6 KB · Views: 305
  • DSCN0768.JPG
    DSCN0768.JPG
    209.4 KB · Views: 295
Status
Not open for further replies.