Baby bear or Intrepid

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nellieisadog

Jan 28, 2014
Kennett Square
Not sure which forum this question should be in...
I have been using a fisher baby bear for a couple of years now and have been pleased over all. I just acquired a Vermont castings intrepid 1. I am just curious if anyone has an opinion on which they would prefer to use and why?
Thanks for any input.

I'd try the new one and report back since you know how the Baby burns. Both have advantages and disadvantages. Depends on how you use it and what you need.

I can't comment on the VC without seeing it. Some of us just prefer steel plate over cast any day. Simpler to fix and less maintenance. Does it use any door gaskets to need replacing or prevent use ? Glass to break and shut you down? A major factor if used as the only heat source so you need a plate, sheet metal or replacement glass on hand. Does it take an 18 inch log? Do you mind cutting shorter if necessary? Bolt together pieces that need stove cement if it leaks from time to time ? Is looks important seeing the fire in a living room, or is it used more as a utility stove unseen?

Baby doesn't hold much, but can be ideal for smaller spaces. Maybe the VC will hold more? For me Mama is as small as I like, to have a decent pile of coals in the morning. How large of an area are you heating and are the stoves comparable in output? The long narrow firebox of the Bear Series single door stoves is the perfect shape for log burning, and since they don't get as much air in the back, you end up with a reserve of charcoal and coals at the rear to rake ahead after removing some ash in front each morning. That's how I get around never leaving it go out to empty ash all at once.

The Intrepid is also a small firebox stove. It may burn a bit cleaner than the baby bear, but I don't think it will heat up a larger area.

Thanks for your thoughts. The intrepid does not seem to need any work, so I am planning on switching them out soon to see how it does and go from there. The firebox on the intrepid is definitely smaller, but I like the idea of loading it from the top. Ultimately a larger stove would be great, but there is not much room in this 900 or so sq ft house. The baby bear has served pretty well and I burn some oil to help. Thanks for the input.
Pete.

Status
Not open for further replies.