Baby Gate for an insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just posted these pics today in another thread. Save your $$$$. I bought sections of railing from Home depot and constructed this--works great and for less than $50.

Attachments

• aug 030.jpg
    aug 030.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 616
I have the kidco hearthgate as well. It's a good product. I'm also certain you could build something on your own if you're on a really tight budget. I think I got mine on ebay for like $125.

Another vote for the Kidco gate, it has worked well for us the last couple years. As others have said you can certainly construct your own cheaper but I took the easy route.

This thread could not have come at a better time. My son is 1 and this year he will be moving around during the heating season so this will work perfect!

I left the money in my pocket and said this a handful of times to Isabella (just turned 3 a couple of days ago)

"No, No. Hot, Hot. Ouchie!"

It wasn't long after her first words that she would wave her hand at the stove and shirk back a little while saying those easy words. We've never had any problems.

For an insert, I would go with a heavy duty fireplace screen. Worked with Murph when he was a puppy.

Got one from Plow & Hearth on clearance for like, $50 or so.

i picked up a fireplace screen at a yardsale for $2.... looks like it will do the job. But my little one isnt walking yet (just pooping and screaming) so time will tell. Those gates look good, but I think the screen will do.

sort of like this:
7150_wire_fire_screen_1.jpg

Looks like it would also make a pretty good kid cage if it was latched to the wall. :lol:

BeGreen said:
Looks like it would also make a pretty good kid cage if it was latched to the wall. :lol:

Although you are highly regarded as a woodburning guru, it is clear your parenting skills should not be regarded with such esteem.

I told my son about your concern, he thought it was pretty funny.

maverick06 said:
i picked up a fireplace screen at a yardsale for $2.... looks like it will do the job. But my little one isnt walking yet (just pooping and screaming)

Oddly enough, that could describe me if you feed me enough Margaritas and spicy food.

wow.... just .....wow......

hahahahahahaha

Danno77 said:
I left the money in my pocket and said this a handful of times to Isabella (just turned 3 a couple of days ago)

It wasn't long after her first words that she would wave her hand at the stove and shirk back a little while saying those easy words. We've never had any problems.

I did the same with my daughter...she would walk past the stove, hold her hand up and say "hot". However, I built a gate to keep her from running full speed past the stove (which she often does), tripping and taking a digger head first into it. She gets the fact that it's hot...however, her big clumsy feet sometimes get the best of her. Oh, and my wife told me to put up a gate--that's the real reason why I built one. :)

sullystull said:
Danno77 said:

I did the same with my daughter...she would walk past the stove, hold her hand up and say "hot". However, I built a gate to keep her from running full speed past the stove (which she often does), tripping and taking a digger head first into it. She gets the fact that it's hot...however, her big clumsy feet sometimes get the best of her. Oh, and my wife told me to put up a gate--that's the real reason why I built one. :)

Have I ever mentioned the time I fell up a flight of stairs... twice... in the same hour.

I'm surprised I haven't set myself on fire, yet.

BeGreen said:
I told my son about your concern, he thought it was pretty funny.

Glad to hear it. Is he a wood burner also?

sullystull said:
I just posted these pics today in another thread. Save your $$$$. I bought sections of railing from Home depot and constructed this--works great and for less than $50.

That's beautiful, what'd you do for hinges or is one section removable to get to the stove?

We ended up buying the Kidco on Ebay, and it sat in the box until we sold it a year and a half later.

We did the same as some of the others, which is to repeatedly tell my daughter... "HoT" and "No". She got it. There is really only one part of our stove that is truly dangerous, and that's the front glass. The rest is really just hot, but not burning, unless, perhaps, you left your hand on it for a bit...

There was a time, when she was about a year and a half old, when she thought she would test the boundaries a bit, and she put her fingers on the glass... Ouch. Yes, it did burn her a bit, but she never did it again! And, no major injury resulted.

This may not be the recommended approach, but it's worked for us, and it allowed her to learn about fire first hand. She's very inquisitive, and now at 3.5 years old, she'll be wanting to put logs on the fire very soon. Not sure how quickly that will happen!

joecool85 said:
sullystull said:

That's beautiful, what'd you do for hinges or is one section removable to get to the stove?

Overlapped the sides, drilled holes and bolted the sections together (both the top rail and the bottom rail). It did act as a hinge although I never used it that way. I simply reached over to load the stove--I have an Oslo with the side loading door. The only time I moved the gate was to clean out the ashes. My hearth is 4'X6' which, coincidentally are the sizes of railing you can buy...so no cutting for me. It worked great this past winter. Even without it being anchored to the hearth, it held up to some toddler abuse. Granted, I wouldn't use it as a jungle gym. Some folks were concerned about the corners being too sharp. In my book, those corners weren't any worse than a coffee table, sharp rocks on the hiking trail, concrete steps, etc. I guess you could wrap them in foam (the corners and/or your kid).

Attachments

• aug 033.jpg
    aug 033.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 224
Status
Not open for further replies.