Baby it's Cold Outside!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prada

Nov 8, 2008
Ohio
Temps are down to 3 degree's in Columbus Ohio, out here in the country where I live it's now below zero with some pretty good wind gusts. They just announced on TV that it's 25 below zero with the wind chill factor! I mean please! lol
Thank goodness for the stove. We still have not had to turn our furnace on this season and tonight is no exception. The Stove Room is in the high 70's and the far end of the house is in the high 60's. What a wonderful thing it is to have this wood burning stove in our home keeping us warm and toasty.

cmasroom.gif

Yeah baby! Stove is crankin' away, and the furnace hasn't run all day. Gotta love it!

-SF

I love my wood heat. The hotter I get the house, the less my wife wears.

Tonight it’s 9 out side and my wife is in shorts & a tank top. :cheese:

Haha Dave.....You and my Hubby seem to think a lot alike!
northpolesmile.gif
drecul.gif

Oh Wow North......are you for real! Now that's scary sounding!
Sly...Don't ya love it! I mean no furnace even with our Ohio temps right now! lol

Oh good grief........Those temps are unreal! It's so hard to picture you living somewhere that stays so cold for those time durations!
That is just dangerous my friend!
cold_2-1.gif

Someone has to keep your American people in Alaska company. I was well set up in Vancouver B.C. before I made my dream come true here. I wouldn't trade it for the world. Its the nature channel 24/7.
CHEERS N of 60

North, I can understand why you love it so much. I just Googled the Yukon and have never seen such beautiful pictures before. I mean even the Northern Lights! I really had no idea how very breathtaking the Yukon was. You are blessed to live in such beauty.

Yukon- Like others have said - how do you live in such cold weather???? What keeps everything from freezing up? How do you live through such loooong winters? What sort of jobs are available in a place so remote? It just boggles my mind..-34*......

Prada said:
Temps are down to 3 degree's in Columbus Ohio, out here in the country where I live it's now below zero with some pretty good wind gusts. They just announced on TV that it's 25 below zero with the wind chill factor! I mean please! lol
Thank goodness for the stove. We still have not had to turn our furnace on this season and tonight is no exception. The Stove Room is in the high 70's and the far end of the house is in the high 60's. What a wonderful thing it is to have this wood burning stove in our home keeping us warm and toasty.

cmasroom.gif

A real test for the stoves last night!. About 2 degrees above last night and had both stoves cranking. Upper 70's inside and it dropped to 70 when I woke at 5:30 am. I would have to insulate much better to live through what North of 60 endures. I awoke to a huge bed of coals in the insert that just takes forever to burn down.

Woodford said:
north of 60 said:
We haven't been above -30F now for two straight weeks. Keep warm my southern friend's. :coolsmile:
I've never experienced those kind of temps, so I can't even imagine. How much time can you spend out there in it?

It's 6* here now. Supposed to be back up to 52* Wednesday. Like a roller coaster.
Here's my weather: http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?site=iln&FcstType=text&site=ILN↦.x=133↦.y=197

In the Colorado high country we got into the -30 range and were house-bound. I always have to have something to do to ward off cabin fever, so I came up with the bright idea of trying to make home-made ice cream without the ice and salt. Lynda thought I was crazy (?), but went along, with this "knowing" look. We had an electric freezer at the time so we mixed it all up and put it out on the second level deck and plugged it in to the outlet. Took about 1.5 hours, but it made just fine. I'd bet North of 60 could make it in 30 minutes. So, North, there's a project for ya! Get the house all toasty, put on your tank top, shorts and flip flops and use that 30 below to make homemade ice cream! That stuff is good anytime! LOL!

It was +9 here Sat. morning with WC below zero and I was sure wishin' I had m'stove! All in good time, I suppose.

Rockey said:
I awoke to a huge bed of coals in the insert that just takes forever to burn down.
I'm burning mine down right now.

Only got down to 6º here, but my furnace still didn't come on!!
Beats last years record of 15º by almost ten degrees- I am burning smarter this year.

I am one of the lucky ones who can heat the main floor with an insert in the basement family room- it never got any lower than 65º in the back bedrooms up there and that is fine by me. So I am a happy girl this morning!!

Husband is not so happy as he is at work outside- a brief moment for those similarly unlucky is in order.

I looked at that weather site. I was going to complain about it being 11 degrees with -10 wind chill, but now I feel somewhat warmer.

Komakuk Beach - 5 degrees!!! Nothing that gets to 5 degrees should be called a beach. Of course, that seems to be a warm spot compared to -45.

Ja, cold is an understatement. Temps been falling since yesterday morning when I was out with the snow thrower clearing the driveway, walkways, and my wood processing area prepping for another 12 cord delivery. I must have gotten into some of my better wood in the shed cuz the house was staying in the high 70's all day. I had let it drop to 74 just before bedtime, burning down the coals so I could stoke it for overnight and it was still 70 inside at 5:30 this morning despite it being -28.3C outside. I got it up to 72 now and just threw my last split on so will have to bundle up and make that trek to the shed for more wood soon.

According to my digital gauge it got down to -27.9 (actual) last night, was 80 in the basement and 71 upstaris.

north of 60 said:
Prada CLICK below. (My weather in my sig) ;-)

That's scary, dude. Do you guys grow extra hair on your body to keep warm?

north of 60 said:
We haven't been above -30F now for two straight weeks. Keep warm my southern friend's. :coolsmile:

Where in Yukon?
Can we come visit?

perplexed said:
Yukon- Like others have said - how do you live in such cold weather???? What keeps everything from freezing up? How do you live through such loooong winters? What sort of jobs are available in a place so remote? It just boggles my mind..-34*......

Building designs are different. Water mains are buried deep,heat traced, insulated and usually re-circed. The larger towns use pre-heat systems on the domestic cold before its distributed. Lots of piping, boilers and treatment plants. HVAC systems are also quite elaborate in the institutional buildings. I work on maintenance and installs on all of the above which keeps me busy. This is the time of year the work truck stays plugged in and don't dare miss a days work.
N of 60

woodjack said:
north of 60 said:

Where in Yukon?
Can we come visit?

20 minutes out of Whitehorse on the Yukon river valley. And yes come on up. Just get yourself a fishing licence and bring an armload of Oak for me to try. ;-)

It's 83* here on the couch, I hear it's around 80* colder on the other side of the window, and I can hear the wind howling. Most of the house is in the low 70's. Last year on oil, the place would be 62*, and I'd still be paying out the yang.

north of 60 said:
perplexed said:

Building designs are different. Water mains are buried deep,heat traced, insulated and usually re-circed. The larger towns use pre-heat systems on the domestic cold before its distributed. Lots of piping, boilers and treatment plants. HVAC systems are also quite elaborate in the institutional buildings. I work on maintenance and installs on all of the above which keeps me busy. This is the time of year the work truck stays plugged in and don't dare miss a days work.
N of 60

My mind is still boggled. Today our weather started out in the mid teens and then crept up to the high twenties. When it is in the teens everything just looks so fragile to me - like the world is so cold it could crack - just like piece of ice. Your cold seems like it would make everything simply shatter to pieces...Tooooo cold for me. :ahhh:

I spent 6 months driving skagway. "Whiterse" and dawson. Man I LOVE that place. I drove out October 1st before it even got frosty. It's an amazing part of the country.

I don't know anyone who has spent time up there that doesn't want to go back.

Status
Not open for further replies.