Back 2 back maple scores

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osagebow

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2012
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Had 2 coworkers hit me up within 5 days for close scrounges.
First score, cut to random lengths, had to noodle 1 round and do about 6 small cu

Get this - second score, lady calls and says "Tree guy wants to know if 18-20 inch lengths are OK.. "

uh, YEP!! Only had to noodle 1 round. They even cut up the poles!
A little over 2 loads apiece, should be about a cord and a half total, splitting small for next spring shoulder wood, and making a ton of kindling.

Attachments

• temporary_zpsa54602f1.jpg
    temporary_zpsa54602f1.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 152
  • temporary_zps4dc46bac.jpg
    temporary_zps4dc46bac.jpg
    321.6 KB · Views: 157
  • temporary_zps0f2ab300.jpg
    temporary_zps0f2ab300.jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Reactions: jaychino415
With that soft maple if you get it split in the next few days it will be ready for this fall. I burn a lot of it and it is fast drying . Cut and split some last fall and it is ready now.

Reactions: osagebow
With that soft maple if you get it split in the next few days it will be ready for this fall. I burn a lot of it and it is fast drying . Cut and split some last fall and it is ready now.

I'm hoping so, burned through most of the pine I had ticketed to start this fall.

We burn a lot of soft maple even in the cold months , it burns HOT and not real fast. 4 4x4 splits will last about 3-4 hours. So we burn it in the day and the hard woods at night and when we go to bed.

Reactions: Ralphie Boy
Now that's maple! Good score Osage. Great stuff maybe ready in the fall?

I'm hoping so, burned through most of the pine I had ticketed to start this fall.
If you don't split any bigger than medium, and have good wind, that Silver should be good to go.

Last edited:
Folks 'round here talk bad about silver maple, they call it "water maple." Myself, I love it and will take all I can get. Great shoulder season wood and great for getting oak, locust and the like going in a hurry. Enjoy it! ()

Reactions: osagebow
Had 2 coworkers hit me up within 5 days for close scrounges.
First score, cut to random lengths, had to noodle 1 round and do about 6 small cu

Get this - second score, lady calls and says "Tree guy wants to know if 18-20 inch lengths are OK.. "

uh, YEP!! Only had to noodle 1 round. They even cut up the poles!
A little over 2 loads apiece, should be about a cord and a half total, splitting small for next spring shoulder wood, and making a ton of kindling.

Osage, that really surprises me to hear you did some noodling on soft maple!

Status
Not open for further replies.