Back from work and some R&R on Cape Cod

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

I have been on Cape Cod the past few days. Believe it or not in a very remote location on a lake. I was remodeling a cottage with a list from the owner to go threw. After work relaxing and fishing. so remote no internet access. I have been reviewing the past two pages of post and cannot answer all .

One of the most talked about issues is installing a wood stove or insert in a metal prefab fireplace. Reading most answers or responses I concur, that unless the insert is listed for prefab installation, then it can not be done. Another point not presented is the prefab venting system. It’s not just the cross-sectional code issue but a more troubling one.
Many Prefab fireplaces can be designed for up to 1700 degrees venting. A wood stove requires 1800 or higher usually 2100 degrees. One can not vent a wood stove into a pre- fab without addressing bringing it up to code requirements for wood stove usage.

I also noticed where a few posters wanted code input. I can’t remember the original post so please pm me and I will try me best to respond.
I also saw that BB was planning to replace his older insert. To keep peace on the forum, he best consider a PE stove.

I finally got away fished and relaxed after work. What a peaceful setting over looking the lake. Not too far from Otis air force base. Lot of f-16 doing training runs, lot of activity there. . A bit windy last night, so I took the sunfish out for an hour or so. I forgot how much fun sailing on of them was.

When I left there was a divorce issue concerning a stove purchase. Has it been solved or are the lawyers drafting up papers?

"I also noticed where a few posters wanted code input. I can’t remember the original post so please pm me and I will try me best to respond. "

The thread is right below this one :)

Its almost impossible to keep up right now with topics, i go to lunch and there is severl new threads when i get back.
Sounds like a nice R&R. Soon, i will be going on a 5 day fishing trip here in colorado and new mexico. I will be along way from any computer. 5 days of good ole light camping and fishing. Tying flies at camp to match the exact hatch going on. Im excited cant you tell?
Hope you cracked a beer, it will take you a while to go through the last few days of threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.