Back of Harman Hot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

subsailor

Minister of Fire
Dec 8, 2011
Winthrop, Maine
Several Harman owners hove commented that the back of their stove, and the wall behind it, are hot to the touch and heat shields might be needed. This kind of surprised me as I never noticed it being a problem on my stove so I checked it. The back of my stove is cold to the touch. So what's the difference? Anyonehave any ideas?

dunno, matey! there are no heat sheilds available for the rear of any Hrman units.....maybe they are speaking of the sides? or the rear part of the sides?

dunno, matey! there are no heat sheilds available for the rear of any Hrman units.....maybe they are speaking of the sides? or the rear part of the sides?

That must be. Do the rear of Hamans get hot in your experience?

no, I agree with you, sub......never had a hot REAR panel of a harman......

That must be. Do the rear of Hamans get hot in your experience?

I'd hafta say no, the rear of Harmans DON'T get that hot. The only place the back of my P61A gets hot is the pellet vent pipe, & even then, I can put my hand on it without getting burnt. I wouldn't leave my hand on it for too long, but if I touched a woodstove pipe, I'd lose skin. The back of the hopper is cold to the touch...

The back of my p61a does not get hot. The sides do and throw out a lot of radiant heat. Drywall yelp gets up there pretty high (corner install). Doesn't help that the installer that the stove shop hired placed the stove closer than the install manual says. I called the stove shop a couple weeks ago and they said they are ordering the side heat shields for me and will call once they receive them.

Stove shop was also not aware of the thermal pad requirement for the stove when it was installed. Not a big deal but shouldn't the installer have picked up on it? Makes me wonder how many installs this guy did wrong....

Never heard of the back getting hot. There's way to much "stuff" in the way to have that happen. The side get rippin hot though :)

The back of mine is not hot at all. But my sister and brother-in-law have p68's and their walls are hot to the touch. I mean really hot.

If the back if the unit got very hot i would be concerned about the life expectancy of the componants. My P61a dont get hot at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.