Back Puffing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Will just clean out the chimney and sealed all stove pipe joints with furnace cement for tonight cold spill. Hope this will help keep the flue temps up.

Mellow when you say more air. Do you mean prime air or by pass (damper rod)?

Most of the time primary air is open all the way.

Wow!!! I have never seen this much flame in this stove they are lazy flames. Not get me wrong but it has been 30 mins cat probe is at 900* stove is at 250* at 12" and 200* at 18" and the primary air is open on a cold start up.

Stan, thinking back thru this thread (it's been a while), have you ever verified that your primary air lever is actually working? I mean, could the linkage have come disconnected somewhere back inside the stove? Could a mouse have climbed into the air inlet at some time and died in there? I may have said this before, but that stove should take off like a rocket with air open all the way, with outside temps anywhere below 40F.

Joful, the primary air is just a box with a slider and 1" x 1 1/2 x 6" tube that go up the sides of the door opening for a air wash. The top of the tubes are open and it has 6 holes on each side. I have blow air up the tubes and they are clean.

This is better the flue temp are a lot warmer then before.
This was before: 18' of chimney, 8" flue and wood between 15 and 19%. It can take me up to 30 mins or longer to get stove pipe to 300* and cat probe up to 800* at the same time. I always have to live the door open to do this. Close door wait a min or two( most of the time flames go out) then close down the by pass to about a 1/4" wait a min or two no flames with the prime air open all the way and temps will drop to 600*. Re-pet until I can keep 800* temps on the cat probe. in a hour or two the temps will hit 1000* it will say here for about 2 hours.This is always the way the stove dose on start up or reload. If I would let the Flue get to 500* most of the wood would be gone. By the way I have only seen temp at 1500* twice

I may try double wall later. But more chimney is not going to happen. It is 5' above my peak now. I read that in a Quadra-Fire manual This:
Your Quadra-Fire stove was designed for and tested on a 6” (152mm) chimney, 12’-14’ (3.66-4.27m) high,
measured from the top of the stove. The further your stack height or diameter varies from this configuration,
the probability of performance problems increases. In addition, exterior conditions such as roof line,
surrounding trees, prevailing winds and nearby hills can influence stove performance.
http://hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/250_3500.pdf
So if later I get Quadra-Fire I will be over the stack height for it. Way would they say this any way with that Florida test they did with a short Chimney?

Last edited:
Mellow, are you sure you by-pass is set 1/4" open? I just do not want to overfire this stove tonight? Cat probe is at 1000* right now and primary air is open 1/2".

I am at 1400* only 45 mins in ti the burn!!!

At that point, I'm usually lowering the air, Stan. 1/2, then 1/4, then 1/8, then closed, on 5-10minute increments. If you see cat temps falling below 1000F, back up a hair. My cat usually cruises 1300 - 1500, although 1700 is not uncommon in the early part of a burn.

My bypass is either full open or full closed, so you have another level of complexity I do not.

Joful, the primary air was closed at 1400*. Now it open to get some more air.

I just got a 4 hour burn on half a load, all coals now and cat probe is at 700* Is that to short of a burn are is it due to outside temps?

I just got a 4 hour burn on half a load, all coals now and cat probe is at 700* Is that to short of a burn are is it due to outside temps?
That's pretty short for a cat. How big is the box?

I really not know.

I really not know.
Well anyways try turning the air down to almost nothing when the stove is in cruise mode. You prolly have tried that already though I bet.

You prolly have tried that already though I bet.
Yes at 800*. I may try 600* this time. It worries me if I pack it full it will over fire. When on half a load it will get to 1400*

Yes at 800*. I may try 600* this time. It worries me if I pack it full it will over fire. When on half a load it will get to 1400*
Nothing wrong with the cat getting to 1400.
Your stove maybe way diff but my stove top temps in cruise are rarely over 650 ..usually around 500-550 for hours then they drop off slowly.

My stove in the pass (before today) close by-pass at 800*, close primary air at 1000* some time it will drop in temps but it will get up to about 1200* then slowly drop off to 600* when I re load. But I just put in all most pack load for the over night burn. close by-pass at 275* at 18" on stove pipe, but cat probe is not in the burn zone?

My stove in the pass (before today) close by-pass at 800*, close primary air at 1000* some time it will drop in temps but it will get up to about 1200* then slowly drop off to 600* when I re load. But I just put in all most pack load for the over night burn. close by-pass at 275* at 18" on stove pipe, but cat probe is not in the burn zone?
Well the wood may not be charred enough to off gas good enough to feed the cat.
My cat is slow to get hot sometimes also. Give it maybe 15-20 mins for some good off gassing to occur.
That said you may have to char the load some more.
Try when charring up the load to leave the cat engaged ..I always engage my cat when the probe reads active..which is like 9:00 on the gauge.

I am now coming in to the burn zone. Usually I not have any flames but tonight I have some lazy flames licking the cat on the right. going to try and close down the primary air as soon as it gets to 600* to try a get a 10 hour burn out of this load. then off to bed and pray that it not overfire.

Close down the primary air at 600* jump up to 700* and one split has a lazy flame. hope that right.

Status
Not open for further replies.