Back to the woods, just for a bit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
Finally got to put the saw into my hands and free the mind for a few hours. Still picking up the pieces from Irene at the house, but took some needed mental break time in the woods today. What I am dealing with is a serious tangle of big trees. The pic below shows the root ball of the big hickory that came down, taking 2 large ashes and a smaller walnut on it's way. My father is standing to the left of the root ball for size comparison. It is pushing 12 ft tall. The second pic shows the mess of large trees all tangled together. In a where's waldo moment, I placed the 359 on the limbs for size comparison. Not so easy to see, but it's there. Did a lot of cutting but not much firewood to show yet. The hickory has a main trunk that is 75 feet from the cut ends high in the pic, to the root ball. Overall, we estimate it as 115 ft tall. Lots of widowmaker situations in that mess. Think 3 times, cut once.

Attachments

• tree57.jpg
    tree57.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 296
  • tree58.jpg
    tree58.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 293
A big one for sure. At least you get some really good firewood and you know to be very careful.

mywaynow, you'll have some nice firewood when you get done. Take your time and cut safe.

zap

I am sure you're eager to get working on the trunk, but I'd first cut any smaller stuff that is easily reached. One you cut the trunk thinkgs may shift and wood you can reach now may become inaccessible.

mywaynow said:
The hickory has a main trunk that is 75 feet from the cut ends high in the pic, to the root ball. Overall, we estimate it as 115 ft tall.
Holy Kamoly!! :bug:

Status
Not open for further replies.