Back up heating?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oakhillhounds

Feb 7, 2014
Maine
Need some advice, I am installing a eko 25 with 500 gal storage, here's me delima, I have very little room in my boiler room for my biasi oil boiler(back up only) and eko, as well as my oil tank all in the same room, so I was thinking one of two ways I could do this one, rip out the oil all together and install a nti wall mounted boiler and on demand water for summer time but $$,, or leave the biasi boiler but put on a propane burner on it instead of oil, that way I could rip out the oil tank and free up some floor space, any other thoughts or ideas?

Need some advice, I am installing a eko 25 with 500 gal storage, here's me ,, or leave the biasi boiler but put on a propane burner on it instead of oil, that way I could rip out the oil tank and free up some floor space, any other thoughts or ideas?

Getting rid of the oil burner and going to a propane burner sounds like a good idea. Oil burners that get very little use can become unreliable!

I could rip out the oil tank and free up some floor space, any other thoughts or ideas
Oil boiler should last forever if you keep it clean and dry. Maybe just switch to a twenty or thirty gallon tank and keep it full with a couple five gallon buckets of kero or diesel from the convenience store on the way home, since it is backup heating after all. In NY at least I couldn't find anything in the code to prevent using most any suitable container for a tank.

Reactions: woodsmaster
I like the idea of the propane burner, having trouble finding one online, but will keep looking, or check my local hvac stores this wknd,

R manino one of those small oil tanks might be my solution, will have to find out what they cost and who Is a supplier here in Maine. Thanks for your help! I also really like the other idea of a propane burner, only concern is having gas so close to my wood boiler

I have seen the roth tanks on craigs from time to time as people are converting to natural gas way better prices

They're only on Craigs when you're not looking for one:)

I buried my heart storage tank just outside the basement wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.