Back up Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wardk

Feeling the Heat
Jul 19, 2012
B.C. Canada
I was looking for an alternative to electric back up, the garn has ports for 9 elements about 27 to 36 kw.I don,t need the back up to keep the house a normal temp , just keep it from freezing if I got away for a week or 2 in the winter. I have propane , would a propane instant hot water heater run through wtw exchanger work or would this exceed it's duty cycle?

I don't think you'd need to do much of anything to keep a Garn from freezing in 2 weeks or less. Is your Garn insulated at all? In an insulated building?

Agree with Stee. Not sure where you are in B.C. but if it's in an insulated building say R20 walls R40 ceiling or better & you put a sweater on the Garn (insulation wrap) again R20 or better. You will likely find that the only precaution you need is to leave the pump circulating to protect the underground lines from freezing. Big maybe on that.You could always test this assumption of mine out this winter by running your backup & letting your Garn cool down before you have to leave on vacation, at least that way you know = peace of mind.

Agree with Stee. Not sure where you are in B.C. but if it's in an insulated building say R20 walls R40 ceiling or better & you put a sweater on the Garn (insulation wrap) again R20 or better. You will likely find that the only precaution you need is to leave the pump circulating to protect the underground lines from freezing. Big maybe on that.You could always test this assumption of mine out this winter by running your backup & letting your Garn cool down before you have to leave on vacation, at least that way you know = peace of mind.
Havent insulated the biulding but am working on insulating the garn very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.