Backdraft out of nowhere

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EJL923

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 29, 2009
Western Mass
I haven't posted in a while, but i had something that had never happened in decades of burning, a hot backdraft.

I was walking past the stove and I hear and see a puff of smoke. a bit of smoke came out of the intake, and even blew the door open slightly as it is pressured by spring in the handle. It is not a cold start, been burning for days, but it was currently a smoldering fire as i just loaded it. can smoke be so thick that it adds weight to the draft in the chimney?
After it happened, i opened the door a crack to get it going hotter, and it went back to normal with secondaries firing.

Anyone else ever have this?
I am due for a cleaning, so i am moving that up the list, but i am pretty sure there are no clog issues. Ill check to be sure.

Edit: Ill add that i almost never have draft issues, 24' interior chimney.

Last edited:
happens to a lot of people. Its called a back puff. It occurs when you have a lot of hot gasses but not enough oxygen for it to ignite. Then you get enough air and boom you get ignition.

Reactions: EJL923
My stove has been doing that more than I like here lately, and I don’t know why! Pipe is clean, cat is clean, and chimney is good!