Backing up a trailer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You could do what I did and put a little over 2 Million (accident free) miles on a Semi. Or you could just find you a big open area and set up some of those orange cones and do some backing in a safe environment.
Regardless of how you do it it will take time and practice, there are really no shortcuts here.

close your eyes and go as fast as you can always works for me

I drove tractor trailer for a few years and I have 3 trailers now that I tow with my pickup. Look at big semi trucks (with sleeper cabs) no rear window at all. Definitely learn to use the mirrors. If it is hard to see your trailer behind your truck put some stakes or flags on it so you can see were it is. Remember small moves with the steering wheel. It doesn't take much to get the turn started. Then follow the trailer. I've heard it described as "You have to change your way of thinking. When you are backing a trailer ... that's what you are doing you are driving the trailer. Just make the truck follow it." Go to your local mall or big shopping center on Sunday afternoon after the stores close. You will have a very large area to practice. You'll have the place all to yourself and no other cars around. Just back into a space and then another. At first they will be difficult but they will be a breeze by the time you do it about 10 or 12 times. Try all different angles. Do some on the sight side and then some on your blind side. Use the lines in the lot and back a straight line for a few hundred yards. You'll be a pro in no time. Good luck.

Adding a second axle helps as long as it is not a steering axle like on a hay wagon. That is a completely different monster that most never get hang of. Practice cannot hurt as long as noone is watching.

bambam said:
Adding a second axle helps as long as it is not a steering axle like on a hay wagon. That is a completely different monster that most never get hang of. Practice cannot hurt as long as noone is watching.

I can't even imagine backing up a hay wagon. Most of the times I've seen them in action, the driver takes care not to get into situations where backing up is required.

I still haven't gotten out to practice backing up with the trailer. I had to move the trailer to the street (at night) and when I tried backing up, it kept wanting to jacknife. I drove around the block. Now I have to take my truck to the mechanic this Sat. (squeaky belt), so maybe Sunday. Vacant lots are in very short supply around here, especially ones that are not fenced off, but there is one reasonably empty "back parking lot" that is not regularlly patrolled that might do.

Peace,
- Sequoia

Status
Not open for further replies.