Backup Boiler question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oilbegone

I followed a diagram like this one. The only thing that has not been done yet is install the aquastat on the tank. When complete would I be able to use the oil boiler in the summer to heat the tank and provide hot water.

Attachments

• Solo 30 W Storage.gif
    Solo 30 W Storage.gif
    59.9 KB · Views: 369
At first glance, it doesn't appear that there's any provision to heat DHW with oil in this schematic.

If it were me, I wouldn't heat the storage tank with oil anyway - too much standby loss with all that surface area. I'd look at either an electric with sidearm ar an indirect tank for your DHW, in either case preheated by passing the cold water through the coil in storage.

Thanks for the advice nofossil. I am supposed to be able to heat with wood in the summer and get several days out of the storage tank I just think it may be difficult getting the fire going when it is that warm out. Maybe I will keep my old electric water heater around for part time use.

Status
Not open for further replies.