Backup boiler return temp question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kevindauch

Feb 7, 2008
Marcy NY
I'm in the process of installing a Tarm Solo 40 with storage as my primary source of heat. My present oil fired boiler is on it's way out and I'm going to replace it. I've been looking into oil boilers and have been wondering if oil boilers would have any problems with thermal shock of cold water returning as the Tarm can experience. Should I look into a mixing valve for the oil boiler as I did on the Tarm? It is just a backup, for when I'm not around to keep the home fire burning.

I had the same question about a year ago, and was told that as long as there is no combustion going on in the firebox, the return water temp is not an issue. It's only when you fire it up that you want the return water above 130 or 140.

How's the weather over in Marcy?

Return protection is always a good idea. Most oil boilers are over-built (to the point of being ridiculous, in some cases), so they will easily last their 20 or 30 years (often more) without a problem. As boilers get lighter and lighter (for improved efficiency), return protection becomes more and more important.

Joe

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking of putting a termovar valve or equivalent on the boiler, but I'm still not sure if it is required. I've spent plenty of money already.

The weather is just peachy if you are a duck here in Marcy, how has it been in Clinton?

Status
Not open for further replies.