Backup Controller

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

funflyer

Burning Hunk
Nov 6, 2014
Central Arizona
Here's a nice little inexpensive digital timer I found to make a backup control for the stove. It can be set to cycle times on/off in seconds, minutes or hours. I'll let you know how it works in a while after I wire it up.

It has great reviews, seen here on Amazon.

15nm9f6.jpg
i294c1.jpg

Get to work and report back!

Reactions: rich2500
It took some time to figure out the programming but after some trial and error it's up and running. Set it for 6 sec on and 10 off.

I let it run for 2 hours while I worked on the enclosure and switches and it never missed a beat, never even got warm. The relay click is kind of loud and definitely something you'd not want to listen to for more than a day or so.

Finished the enclosure except for the fuse holders which I haven't received yet. Ready for stove testing other than that. This will only be used temporarily if the stove's board ever dies so the combustion and room fans are switched to run at 100% to keep things simple.

2a7aeyc.jpg

It took some time to figure out the programming but after some trial and error it's up and running. Set it for 6 sec on and 10 off.

I let it run for 2 hours while I worked on the enclosure and switches and it never missed a beat, never even got warm. The relay click is kind of loud and definitely something you'd not want to listen to for more than a day or so.

With the fans running, that click would barely be audible. That turned out awesome and if you were to sell them that would work on my Castle serenity, I'd like to know the price and bu one for it's intended purpose of a back up. Great job.

Reactions: funflyer
Good deal! It's always nice to have a contingency plan. Drive On!

Reactions: funflyer
With the fans running, that click would barely be audible. That turned out awesome and if you were to sell them that would work on my Castle serenity, I'd like to know the price and bu one for it's intended purpose of a back up. Great job.

Thanks,
Now that the timer is in it's enclosure it is almost silent. I was planning on keeping the stove's vacuum and over-fire switches in the auger loop but now I see that Englanders use a different temp control and the board circuit is what actually cuts out the auger feed. So, now I'll have to figure on a snap-disk switch to be used in the loop, maybe a magnetic temporary type, if there is such an animal.

As far as making these to sell? I don't think that's a good idea, though I will help someone with any info they may need if they want to make one for themselves. It's actually pretty easy, and switches could be eliminated to make it more simple.

Reactions: Deezl Smoke
Nice job! I like working with timers myself.

Finally got the fuse holders and finished the controller. It ran the stove for three hours today without issue so I'd call it a success. Not sure if I'll add a snap disc or not since this is only a temp use controller but leaving the vacuum switch in the loop was easy. I made a video of how it works but it was too big so if I figure out how do edit it I will upload it.

DSC02257.JPG

Pretty cool you have figured out a working setup. Always nice to have options.

Will the stove still have overfire protection when using this?

Reactions: vinny11950
I like it,your work is nice.But for a cheap snap switch and a little wire,you could add a rudimentary safety.

cool idea...will check if i can get the parts here and play with it...
Hopefully it bring my baby back to work

Excellent Job! How complicated or easy is programming on that timer? That looks better than my backup control board.

Bill

Great job! You might be interested some backup guide. I am pretty sure that it can save you a lot of time and some nerves. Make sure to read them thoroughly, cause there's a lot of info that cannot be understood at first.

Great job! You might be interested some backup guide. I am pretty sure that it can save you a lot of time and some nerves. Make sure to read them thoroughly, cause there's a lot of info that cannot be understood at first.
I forgot to give you a link... God, I'm so dumb. Here's an Office 365 backup guide https://spinbackup.com/blog/office-365-backup-guide/. It helped me a lot, hope it will do the same for you. No spam, just trying to be helpful.