Backup Generator

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
amick780 said:
CanadaClinker said:
here's a new alternative to installing a service Xfer switch....... not sure what the cost comparison is between this meter base type and the one the electrician has to wire in the basement panel.... looks simple enough....CC http://www.generlink.com/about_generlink.cfm

Looks like a great setup, unfortunately it will not work with generator that are Full panel GFCI (or neutral bonded). It will trip the Ground fault. Too bad, most generators these days are full GFCI.

Amick, you may be able to disconnect the neutral bond on your generator, especially if was marketed to the lite-duty construction industry. Check your manual, some describe the procedure for this. Of course, make sure you understand why they are neutrally bonded or not. Some generators provide stickers that you attach as a warning if you unbond the neutral.
Mike -

Dr_Drum said:
amick780 said:
CanadaClinker said:
here's a new alternative to installing a service Xfer switch....... not sure what the cost comparison is between this meter base type and the one the electrician has to wire in the basement panel.... looks simple enough....CC http://www.generlink.com/about_generlink.cfm

Looks like a great setup, unfortunately it will not work with generator that are Full panel GFCI (or neutral bonded). It will trip the Ground fault. Too bad, most generators these days are full GFCI.

Amick, you may be able to disconnect the neutral bond on your generator, especially if was marketed to the lite-duty construction industry. Check your manual, some describe the procedure for this. Of course, make sure you understand why they are neutrally bonded or not. Some generators provide stickers that you attach as a warning if you unbond the neutral.
Mike -

Thanks for the good info Mike, I will check it out and see what options I have. Let you know how I make out.
Adam

Anytime, I did a web search and see posts saying the Generlinks are anywhere from $650 to $1000. That's at least a few hundred more than a decent 4 or 6 circuit transfer switch. I don't know what an electrician would charge to install either type. A Generlink sounds perfect for me, but I'm just to cheap. I saw a post that some power companies rent them and add to your monthly bill.
Mike -

Just feed 220 (from genny) back in thru your 220 welder or air compressor, make sure to shut off main power at the breaker, shut off all breakers and turn on only the power to what you need powered and what your genny can power. It's the same principle that they are charging big $$ for. I did mine for less than $20.00, works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.