Backup Heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prob says more about the safety factors on the gauge, IMO. In the lab once I ran current through 12 ga until it failed. At several hundred amps it glowed cherry red. At around 1000 A continuous it melted. Ran a brief ~100,000 A pulse and it shattered into short lengths from magnetic stresses. Don't try this at home.

Reactions: SolarAndWood
Prob says more about the safety factors on the gauge, IMO. In the lab once I ran current through 12 ga until it failed. At several hundred amps it glowed cherry red. At around 1000 A continuous it melted. Ran a brief ~100,000 A pulse and it shattered into short lengths from magnetic stresses. Don't try this at home.

Come on....it's no fun unless you can try it from home..................geeezzzzz pee on my parade.

lol, you know how to party woodgeek. I've got too much sweat equity in this house to take any chances let alone the potential risk of life. I've got everything installed, grounded and the two feeds reading 240 on and off with the tstat. But, I'll wait until I resolve the breaker issue before I make the final connections and leave it live. 6000 watts should serve the intended purpose and other than solving the breaker issue was done with material on hand.

Sounds like a great demo for Bill Nye.

Status
Not open for further replies.