Backup Heaters and Fumes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gorooster

Nov 12, 2011
New Mexico
Looking into kerosene or ventless propane heater as a backup when the pellet stove and/or electricity is down for the count (I've got a marine battery backup for short blackouts). My wife gets migraines pretty quickly so I worry about residual fumes in the house. I'll keep a window cracked and I've got the CO sensors. Which of these two options would you guys recommend (and the wife is a keeper). Thanks!

Ventless is way safer than kerosene.However,I have 2 dv empire wall units in my cabin,for when not running pellet stove.Pilot ignition,direct vent,not the most efficent but work as convection heaters when no power,just that the internal fans do not run.I also have a ventfree in basement in case needed,very efficent but all propane now has a slight odor when burning.

High use of mercaptan to make propane have an odor seems to leave something after fuel is burnt. We installed a direct vent stove that has a standing pilot so needs no power in case of extended power failure. CL digging kept the total cost down. Less than $500 for total install with ceramics etc. DSCN0038.JPG

I use a Big Buddy heater when the power is out.

Definitely prefer propane in a ventless heater than kerosene. Wouldnt want to breathe either one for any length of time. For 2 reasons 1 They rob oxygen and 2 put all kinds of noxious substances into the air. I use propane on the job to start up at least until the wood stove warms up enough to carry the heat load.

Status
Not open for further replies.