Q&A backup power

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I'm looking for a pellet insert for my fireplace. I would like to use it during power outages - potentially lengthy ones. I have heard that there are battery backups available for some models, but they only last a day or so. I'm interested in backup power for a month time period. Any suggestions? I did see one company that makes a generator that uses heat from the stove.

Answer:

The only real option would be a gas-powered generator. You could charge a battery bank, but batteries are not cheap. The generators that use heat from the stove are high=priced and low output. Pellet stoves use a decent amount of electric, probably 150-250 watts.

Some work on long term backup is being done by Thelin Stoves. Check them out at the link below

Link: Thelin

Status
Not open for further replies.