Backyard skyline logging?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boris

Oct 7, 2012
I have ~2.5 acres + other woods behind my house. Problem is that the terrain is hilly and hand-carrying logs is not feasible if I'm more than 30 yards from the wood stack.
Don't have a truck, 4-wheeler or anything like that.
Has anybody tried setting up a "skyline" - steel cable with a carriage.
Choker chains go around tree chunks and then hoisted up the hill to the landing site.
Any thoughts? I can setup a winch up top of the hill, or even just use a manual come-along winch.

Boris.

I've put a pulley way up a tree & pulled logs up hill with my P/U.
Should work, might make it easier but set up will be an effort.

I have never done that. But I do not see why it would not work if done carefully. I used a winch on my old Jeep pick up truck to pull logs over to the trail in the woods. That was handy to get them right close to the truck and to the clearing, then cut them up. I miss that winch. I should have taken it off the truck before I advertised it and saved it for my next truck. :( Unfortunately don't have the cash to buy one for this truck. ;lol Oh well.

I have ~2.5 acres + other woods behind my house. Problem is that the terrain is hilly and hand-carrying logs is not feasible if I'm more than 30 yards from the wood stack.
Don't have a truck, 4-wheeler or anything like that.
Has anybody tried setting up a "skyline" - steel cable with a carriage.
Choker chains go around tree chunks and then hoisted up the hill to the landing site.
Any thoughts? I can setup a winch up top of the hill, or even just use a manual come-along winch.

Boris.

Pulleys are your friend when doing it like this. Do you perhaps have a lawn mower that you could use for a bit of power? Using a comealong would really be super slow work and you'd tire of that fast.

When I cut a tree and, maybe it even hangs up and I have to cut it down section by section, I cut usually into 4' lengths or if small into 8' lengths and in the past I've usually slung them onto my shoulder and walked them out. Last year I bought one of these little gadgets and have to say it makes that task to be only about half the work it used to be.

Log tongs.jpg
In addition to using it like above, when cutting wood and it is wet from rain or snow, using this little tool keeps your gloves dry and also saves your back because you don't have to bend so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.