Ralphie Boy Posted By Ralphie Boy, May 8, 2013 at 5:51 PM

1. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 12, 2012
    Loc:
    Rabbit Hash, Kentucky
    Not the biggest I've ever dropped, but for sure the one with the most potential for disaster. On a hill side with a serious up hill and to the left lean and a big fork 15 ft. or so up. One side of the fork was dead as dead could be. I couldn't/wouldn't have taken it down without the sound advice of one of my respected friends on this forum. I won't mention his name cause I didn't ask him if I could.

I left plenty, maybe a bit too much, hinge and drove wedges on both sides of the plunge cut. When I cut the strap, nothing:oops:! Too much hinge. So two smacks on a wedge in the back and she started to move.

I got back a safe distance and watched. It sounded like a creaking door in the haunted house opening very slowly!!!. Man, that thing came down so slowly that I could have filled my 25" chain while it fell! It was perfect! Fell straight as an arrow and right where I wanted it to fall for a tree. Pretty fair for a tree with that much back and left lean. The split in upper part of the tree straddled the small locust tree I was using an aiming point.

Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while! Tonight's PowerBall drawing is like 220 million I best by me a couple of tickets before the luck runs out!;lol

By the by I'll post a couple of before pictures in an hour or so. Be sure to come back!
    DSC_0004 (598x900).jpg

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  2. Locust Post

Locust Post
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 12, 2012
    Loc:
    Northeast Ohio
    I had to look at that title a couple times.....I thought I was gonna see a Dirty Harry clip for a minute there..

3. NortheastAl

NortheastAl
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 30, 2012
    Loc:
    Putnam, NY
    Nice drop. It's great when it goes where we want.

4. Woody Stover

Woody Stover
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 25, 2010
    Loc:
    Southern IN
    Good work. :cool: Looks like some solid wood there...

5. bogydave

bogydave
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 4, 2009
    Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    You are getting good !
    Not much luck there, just done right ;) ( but couple tickets can't hurt :) )
    Nice hinge .

6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 14, 2007
    Loc:
    Michigan
    No doubt that is an ash and a dandy at that. Glad you got it down okay.

7. Hills Hoard

Hills Hoard
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 19, 2013
    Loc:
    Melbourne, Australia
    brilliant job....is that the locust you see in the fork?...thats the luckiest tree ever...haha...great aiming!