bad day

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NEDLAX

Dec 12, 2008
UPSTATE NY
I was cutting down a standing dead tree today but after i made the back cut nothin happened. the tree had branches that had formed around the tree next to it so there it stood. So i hooked a chain to it to pull it free, didnt want to leave it hung up, next to a used trail. Went to yank it off and snap the pin broke on the hook of the chain, whipped around and wrapped around my 2008 chevy. I almost had a seizure. So now the money that ill be saving by putting in a wood stove and scrounging wood will be spent on the truck 1400 $$$$ only good news is it was an oak probally 2-3 truck load

Well, at least nobody was standing by to get cut down by the chain...and the tree didn't fall on your truck. Coulda been worse. Sorry about the truck, but I'm glad yer OK! Rick

true and thats why only my dogs goes in the woods w/ me. after I came back from getting the estimate and a new pin for chain the wind did the job for me

If your not making mistakes or having problems it just means your not doing anything.

never use chain! wedge in the back cut will bring that tree down 99 percent of the time

yeah, I didnt hear about using wedges! you crazy man! 99% of the trees I fell I use wedges. 99% of those trees I cut and acutally pound additional wedges in so the tree falls

Adirondackwoodburner said:
yeah, I didnt hear about using wedges! you crazy man! 99% of the trees I fell I use wedges. 99% of those trees I cut and acutally pound additional wedges in so the tree falls
sounds simple but that tree just balancing there 5 dollar wedges is the difference! there was a tread in the wood shead were no one used wedges for felling now thats crazy

well yeah, like I said, I always use wedges

Well at least no one got injured...sorry to hear about the truck.

smokinj said:
sounds simple but that tree just balancing there 5 dollar wedges is the difference! there was a tread in the wood shead were no one used wedges for felling now thats crazy

Hey smokinj, I rarely use wedges felling. I think it's been 3 years now since I've needed to do that. I always carry them with me but just don't see a need for them on a normal basis.

Backwoods Savage said:
smokinj said:

Hey smokinj, I rarely use wedges felling. I think it's been 3 years now since I've needed to do that. I always carry them with me but just don't see a need for them on a normal basis.
you must have some nice tree's there and know what you are doing! (and you know when you need one) I would say you have been doing this for more than 30 years! and i think even you would pull one out of your bag if the tree was balance and nothing else to cut. This is the point where people get killed 1400.00 to fix the truck may be the best case here.

I've never ever used a wedge in the felling process. Only wedge I use is the cast iron splitting wedge to split bad rounds. Maybe I'm crazy. All of my trees fall just fine when you cut them. Is this an east coast thing?

Where are the pics of that chain damage?

Highbeam said:
I've never ever used a wedge in the felling process. Only wedge I use is the cast iron splitting wedge to split bad rounds. Maybe I'm crazy. All of my trees fall just fine when you cut them. Is this an east coast thing?

Where are the pics of that chain damage?
they use wedges on the west coast as well even to top them big spruces you got there! I know they sell these things at every saw shop come on now! "this is a perfect example of when to use a wedge"

Trucks in the shop no pics basically from the backdoor to the front wheel on the passenger side, got all chained up deep gauges the linex spray on liner saved the box glad i had the truck not the tractor. I never use wedges felling trees, was never taught to use one. ive been lookin for a plastic wedge only have a metal one and dont like to use it to mess up my chain. The only thing i would have done different would be put the stretch strap on the truck not the tree, and borrow my dads flat bed 4x4. The tree that it was hung up on fell down in wind storm today lol if i only waited a day.

NEDLAX said:
I was cutting down a standing dead tree today but after i made the back cut nothin happened. the tree had branches that had formed around the tree next to it so there it stood. So i hooked a chain to it to pull it free, didnt want to leave it hung up, next to a used trail. Went to yank it off and snap the pin broke on the hook of the chain, whipped around and wrapped around my 2008 chevy. I almost had a seizure. So now the money that ill be saving by putting in a wood stove and scrounging wood will be spent on the truck 1400 $$$$ only good news is it was an oak probally 2-3 truck load

Yup . . . definitely a bad day . . . and pretty expensive firewood.

However, as bad a day as this was the one thing to remember is that a damaged Chevy is much better than a damaged NEDLAX . . . they're even more expensive to repair, spare parts aren't typically available and unfortunately they're a limited edition whereas they make new Chevy pick-ups most every day (well except for when the plants are closed to help reduce inventory.)

Status
Not open for further replies.