Bad dog!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mr47930

Burning Hunk
Aug 11, 2014
Southern MD
My lab thinks that the coal hod on the side of the hearth filled with pellets are a buffet of treats. I walked past the stove and noticed pellet crumbs on the floor and a very guilty looking pooch in his bed 10 feet away. Stupid question but is the makeup of pellets wood and only wood? Is this just like a dog chewing on a stick outside? Dont want him getting sick all over the house. I'm trying to stock up for the winter and the damn dog is eating them.

I'm not a Veterinarian, nor did I ever play one on TV...but my understanding is that most wood pellets are just wood. Maybe you can burn his poop? :rolleyes:

Yup, just wood. Still might make him throw up depending on how much he ate.

They are used for horse bedding and some use them for cat litter. No worries.

That's good news. Now I have to relocate the coal hod I suppose. The only reason we bought the thing was for it to look nice next to the stove too.

That's good news. Now I have to relocate the coal hod I suppose. The only reason we bought the thing was for it to look nice next to the stove too.

Leave it there and put dog food in it.

Maybe you can burn his poop? :rolleyes:

What pellets are you burning this year?

Mostly Labrador extremely soft wood, mixed in with some Maine's Choice and Pres-to-logs!

What pellets are you burning this year?

Mostly Labrador extremely soft wood, mixed in with some Maine's Choice and Pres-to-logs!

It's got to be better than anything from Lowes or HD.

The pellets expand when they get wet so you may have discovered a perpetual "'log" source!

The pellets expand when they get wet so you may have discovered a perpetual "'log" source!

Maybe ill just start feeding him the fines and ill have my own mill in no time. Ill call em "Lab Logs". Its about time that dog earns his keep.

Reactions: Owen1508
My beagle thinks they taste good too. I guess she don't get enough treats.

My damned dogs like them too. Not the 100% softwoods though, only the hardwoods.

I have dogs too and a 40lb bag of pellets is alot cheaper than a 40lb bag of dog food so maybe this is a good thing.

Ha Ha Ha hahaha! Good comments! You all crack me up. Funny ch!t, No pun intended. I have been tooling around here all morning drinking coffee and awaiting my pellet delivery. Now I'm suffering from a caffeine and slap happy overdose. Highly entertaining. Between Bad Dog! and another thread I have been in non stop laughter. Too much, I need a break. Good stuff!

Hey, if he thinks he's (or she) is getting a treat maybe you can train the Bad Dog to carry the pellets in for you? That would be impressive. The fines idea is brilliant. You could market under various brand names. Fido Feeders the new squeeze on pellet fuels. Might I suggest some adaptive reuse for the coal hod. You could run around picking up the Lab Logs so it wouldn't be a total waste.

SPLINTERS! ouch!!!!

Worst part is he's eating the Hamer's that I just picked up at $6 a bag. Ill throw some of the O'Malleys that I got free with the stove down to see if he likes those. Good thing i dont have any douglas fir pellets or he would become an outside dog.

Let's all train our dogs to "go" in the hopper, that way we'll never have to worry about the stove shutting down from lack of fuel! No pee though, only poop. Would be tough to teach them #2 only, and I assume the smell would not be acceptable to most people, unless you're a zookeeper or something! I read this post for the first time last night, and I swear this morning when my Newfie Titan heard the sound of a large, plastic scoop going into a bag of pellets, he came a runnin' ready for breakfast, LOL!

Only thing I would be worried about would be the expansion of the pellets in his digestive track and the amount he's eaten ... bowel obstructions are an expensive surgery. Talk to me about the $600+ surgery on the cat who liked christmas tree tinsel.... first Christmas with a cat ... needless to say no longer put tinsel on the tree.

We have pet insurance policies on 2 dogs plus a parrot. It has saved us hundreds if not thousands.

Only thing I would be worried about would be the expansion of the pellets in his digestive track and the amount he's eaten ... bowel obstructions are an expensive surgery. Talk to me about the $600+ surgery on the cat who liked christmas tree tinsel.... first Christmas with a cat ... needless to say no longer put tinsel on the tree.

There would have been no cat at Christmas in my house and $600 still in the bank account. I'd sell my kidney for my dog though. Id rather hang out with him over about 90% of people nowadays.

I dont think he got many down before I came back into the room and he ran to his bed. Hes a pretty smart pup and when I raised my voice he tends to listen. We'll see if he keeps on trying.

Reactions: bags
My daughters boxer got sick about a month ago. Turned out to be a rubber duck in its intestines . So I guess dogs eat about anything. The standing joke was did her husband miss the duck at bath time ( he's a grumpy whiner) !! But ya, about 2 grand for the surgery.

I always wondered why they had the warning on the bag:
"Not for human or animal consumption"
Don't know if they all have this or just Heartlands, I was told that some brands have a filler or binding agent so I would err on the side of caution with my animals.
One of my dogs will eat just about anything but he has not had a chance at the pellets.

How do you say no to a young girl whose cat is sick? CC (calico cat) was a stray who convinced my husband to bring her home... more like a dog than a cat. She used to walk the kids to the bus with our 2 dogs - a lab and a newf mix. All homeless critters which is why we had them. The lab used to hide in the closet when he had done something bad...

My preference is for dogs but the latest addition to the family - Garfield - insisted he was going to move in. The neighbors laugh because Garfield and I take the GS dog for walks! Shatzi has a preference for sneaking cat food rather than pellets....

Status
Not open for further replies.