Bad Experience withe the stove(hurt myself)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

njtomatoguy

Feeling the Heat
Jun 20, 2006
Maple Shade, NJ
With shame, and this is serious, I think I may be getting out of woodburning.

First, I wasn't really ready for this year because I have been working so much. Scheduled 46 hours a week, Mon--Fri, work at least one weekend a month
at my job and at least 1, but usually 2 weekends with my Dad. I was using pallets and kiln dried stuff from the machinery place up the road. Never an issue.
I got light on that wood,because my trailer got buried in the 18 inches of snow we had,then the additional foot we got, and got wood delivered. He is great. Guaranteed the wood would burn, even offered to let me pick a few of the pieces and go try them BEFORE accepting delivery. Delivered a few days after the foot of snow we recently got here in NJ.

Wood is fine. I load the stove on tuesday night, and filled it. Jammed one piece that was too big, couldn't shut the door. Tried to get it out, and couldn't get it out, either.
Jammed the poker hook in there, tried everything. Not budging. Got a hold of one of the splits with the hook, lost it, hook came back and hit me in the face.
I seriously burnt my face, right below my eye. It is still oozing, and most likely will have a scar.

What really aggravates me is that I used to drink A LOT, but gave that up. Did a lot of dumb things. I have not had a drink in a year and a half, and now this happened. AA has been keeping me busy, yet
another reason wood didn't get processed. But need the meetings more than the time to process wood..

Anyway, I am stuck now. Furnace is still off. Next year I may just go back to the furnace, or switch to coal..
That's all. Just need to get that out.. You can laugh now..

Hey njtomatoguy, youre tougher than that man. Surely youre not gonna let that bring you down. Stuff happens, you learn from it, and get tougher because it happened and youre still kickin ass. Right?

PS, nevermind my other posts, just keep on keepin on.

NJ, hope the face heals. Check out some burn ointments, if going to the MD is an issue.

I've had good results with "TritecK" <sp>, an ointment for horse injuries (valley vet supply, is the web site, I think). Burnt my right hand good this year on the NC 13, twice. I had the imprint of the door latch from the "V" in my right hand, running up my thumb. Doesn't look to bad now, as I type, but it was nasty for a while. Once I used this stuff, I was hooked. Keeps the itchy stuff to a minimum.

Not laughing here. Maybe it's another step, above & beyond. Hay, ya never know ;-)

Neosporin with pain relief. Proven to reduce scaring and infections. You can get it all over the place, CVS, target, acme.

Hey, if you burn wood, good for you. If not, no biggie, its up to you.

You can get hurt doing just about anything. Sitting in the armchair watching tv all day will give you carpel tunnels and bed sores.

Sorry, hope you get better!

tomatoguy,
If I had a dollar for every time I cursed my stove and/or wood I'de be a rich man. If you need to, end your burning season now. Collect your thoughts. Cut, split, stack when you get time in the upcoming year. Next fall you will be rejuvinated and can start fresh. Also keep in mind many of the experts on this site ARE EXPERTS! I don't even try to compare myself to these guys. You are probably doing better than most wood burners in this country. Just think of all the people who arent even aware of this site and dont have the benefit of learning here.
Don't give up dude!
besides... chicks dig scars!

It'll be five years for me in August

Made it through loosing Dad under some pretty bad circumstances in September.

Take care of the eye and don't feed that need

Aaron

I had a split stuck in my stove the other day too, luckily I didnt get hurt. I learned if it doesnt go in easy find a smaller split. Sounds like you had a bad day and the winters been long, maybe next year you'll feel differently.

-PB- said:
besides... chicks dig scars!

Aint that the truth. Remember what the man said....."scars are a painfull reminder that the past was real".

I dont think any one is going to laugh, glad you did not put out an eye, I think you will feel better after some "down time", good luck.

Turn on the furnace and kick back for a few days Robert. Too many things going on in your life to make any decisions on anything right now. I have been missing you around here. Heating with the furnace is the easy call. Do it. Don't let a accident destroy all of your progress on the other front.

Heck if I had a furnace I would be running it right about now just because I need a break from the stoves.

And let us know how that burn comes along. Talk to us. Not the jug.

njtomatoguy, you are my inspiration. I remember you hauling wood in a Geo Metro. Diehard, dedicated to the cause.

You are being way too hard on yourself. Sh!t happens and it sucks, but stop beating yourself up for a totally human mistake. I'm really glad you weren't seriously hurt. The experience is sobering, but learn from it and proceed with wisdom. We're rooting for you. Like Red Green says, keep your stick on the ice, we're all in this together. Hang in there brother.

Hey Guy, just seen this and reminds me of the time i grabbed a block of wood and dropped it on my face after slipping on the tile in front of the stove ;-P

big deal!! dont worry about it... split me wide open and it did hurt :cheese:

loon

I have smashed my finger loading the wood stove before. It was one of those turn black and you can feel your heart in your finger smash. I have had women lie to me too. Trucks have broke down on me. I still burn wood and I think women are wonderful and cant imagine not having a truck. Take a little time to heal up and you will be back into the swing of things

Be proud of that scar...just shove another log up that beast pie hole and burn on bro...
md

dont quit. nice to have the luxury of the furnace but real warmpth comes from wood heat. 11 years and counting, pete

You might have been able to just grab onto that piece if you would have been wearing gloves. I almost always don my gloves when loading.
Glad to hear it wasn't worse.

:long:

I hope you heal quickly. Stuff happens. Said a prayer for you. Take it easy and don't make hasty decisions on the wood stove. Sounds like you have overcome a lot so far. God Bless!

njtomatoguy, first thing....hang in there...there are valleys we will walk through at times but to either side of these valleys are mountains that we can stand on top of and have the world at our feet...you seem like a mountain climber to me.

See if you can get some 1% silvadene cream...excellent stuff for 2nd and 3rd degree burns, you might have to seen an MD to get a prescription for it, I'm not sure if you can get it over-the-counter. It wouldn't hurt to see a doc anyhow.

Aloe would be goood, also, if you can't get ahold of the silvadene...I've had better results from aloe lotion rather than the gel....the lotion seems to soak in better. Keep putting the aloe lotion on until it quits soaking in...then check it all along and if it's soaked in then put some more on.

Something else you can do is pump yourself up with vitamin C....ester Vitamin C is supposedly better absorbed by the body. Increase your vitamin-c intake until you get diarrhea (that will be your overdose limit) and then back off just a tad...vitamin-c has some good healing abilities. Later on, when the pain has gone and the injury has healed there are ointments that can lessen the scarring...one simple ointment I've seen work on occasion is plain old mineral oil...just rub a dab into the scar a couple of times a day for ever how long it takes.

I don't know you, but I respect you greatly from what I know about you from the bit of information that you posted. As for wood burning...do like several have mentioned and back off of it for a little while. Something tells me that you're probably a lot like me in that a warm fire has a very therapeutic effect on me.

Oh, btw, I've got a tomato plant at work that I'm actually getting tomatoes off of right now. There's a story behind it. ;) Just thought I'd mention it to you ('cause of your name, I 'reckon).

Take care,
Ed

in the swamp gave you some good advice when it is healed over, get some vitamin E and put it on. helps it to not scar so bad. give it some time. you can buy a vit. E oil or the capsules and stick a knife in them and squeeze it out hang in there! :)

NJtomato,
We all have scars, setbacks, dissappointments, I can go on an on. The difference in people is that some people give up when things get tough. Keep burning and overcome this setback. Some day you won't be physically able to burn and you will wish you could. If your too busy (I wish I was), take a brake, but don't stop because of your accident. Figure out how to prevent it in the future and drive on!

No laughing. Be very happy your poker missed the eyeball. You are a very fortunate guy, looking at it that way.

I've been heating 100% with wood stoves since 1974, and I was quite clueless when I started, due to necessity in the rental "miner's cabin" I moved into and was all I could afford. It came equipped with a crappy wood stove, but one that did heat the place. I knew nothing. But I kept warm for 11 years there and the entire rent cost was $50 a month.

I bought a small chainsaw and cut all my own wood, and still do. I have had several extremely close calls with the tree-felling. I have had a couple things come up [to my body] while splitting and handling wood. I have had some other stuff happen with the stoves. It happens to many of us.

If you feel as if you must give up the wood burning, ok. If you stick with it, you've lived though a learning experience about loading the stove. Your eye is ok. Cool.

My 13 year old son cut his hand with the axe splitting kindling, he took a week off to let it heal, but was back at it before he had his stitches out. He's a lot more careful now, I guess that's how we learn.
FiskarCut.JPG

I guess if it was on a TV comedy show it would have been funny. But like was said above, you got to keep your eye and the wound will heal.
Seems you have two main problems to overcome. One can be done with a pair of thick gloves
The other is Getting enough wood
The last time I was up there the construction going on in the Rt 70 area east of marlton was creating alot of deforested lots.
Between the cleared trees and the construction scrap that is a pretty good area to scrounge for wood. Dont know if its still going...its been a year.

Thanks for all the replies..

I have not missed with the wood stove, and WILL NOT turn on the furnace this year. Luckily, we have a warm shot of weather coming this week.
I am pissed about the scar, but it is out of my control, happened and nothing can change it.

I did have my welding gloves on.
Turning back to booze is not an option.Ever. And when I do get a little jerky, I go to a meeting.

I am heading to the store later, and will pick up the vitamin E. It is a shame I didn't go to the doctors- I have really good health insurance, but-
it is a low cost plan with a high deductible. I pay $6.91 a week, then the first $1500 out of pocket. Once you hit $1500, it is 80/20 BC/BS. In other words,
if you get very sick or very hurt, the bennies are great. Minor things, or if you don't have the $1500, it is prohibitive to go to the doctor or the ER. A lot
of the other employees use the walk in clinic rather than using the benefits we pay for.
This happened tuesday night, so now, 4 days later, it is getting better.

So far, I did get some mileage out of the story, and working on "character". :)

njtomatoguy said:
So far, I did get some mileage out of the story, and working on "character". :)

Some of our most "stupid" accidents do turn out to make the best stories!

And hope what you mean by working on character means learning not to beat the crap out of yourself for being human.

Maybe also pick up and aloe vera plant - cheap, hard to kill, water very sparingly - and you will always have some burn first aid on hand, just break/cut off a piece and smear it on. The piece can be kept for days until you use it up. I really helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.