Bad gas?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HatCityIAFF

Burning Hunk
Oct 26, 2011
Western CT
So i picked up a 372xp from a local dealer late fall '12. I've maybe run 5 tanks through it so far. The last two times i have gone to use it, it hasn't started, and this has lead me to get frusterated and flood the engine. Both times have been with fresh premium right out of two different pumps at two different gas stations.. I'm figuring this should sputter with 2-3 pulls full choke, then take choke off, and one pull. Also, when its warm after being run for a bit, it takes me a good 5 pulls no choke to get it going again. Is there a possibility that no one is using premium and the fuel is going bad in the ground? I'm only thinking this because last week i poured out the gas in the saw, and filled it up with my buddies regular gas that has been sitting in his garage for over a yr, and it started right up after the flooding cleared. I'm going to stop by the stihl dealer on my way home and pick up a can of the pre mixed fuel and see if that has any effect.

Is this saw new?

If you have any doubts about it's state of tune, and are not comfortable doing it yourself, take it back to the dealer you bought it from . They should be more than willing to take care of it .

Hmmmm thanks guys. Might take it back for a tune at some point.....but stopped at the stihl dealer on the way home and picked up a can of motomix and dumped it in the dry tank...started first pull on choke and ran perfect for 15 min.So to me, ive got 5 gal of bad useless premium fuel thatll get dumped in the car. BTW, the plastic gas container that i filled with that gas was brand new,so no water

Reactions: Nixon
FIWIW
Car engine cost more than a chain saw.
If bad gas, I wouldn't put it in my vehicle ;)

Reactions: n6crv and smokinj
Hmmmm thanks guys. Might take it back for a tune at some point.....but stopped at the stihl dealer on the way home and picked up a can of motomix and dumped it in the dry tank...started first pull on choke and ran perfect for 15 min.So to me, ive got 5 gal of bad useless premium fuel thatll get dumped in the car. BTW, the plastic gas container that i filled with that gas was brand new,so no water
That does sound like duff fuel . Glad you got it sorted before it did bad things to your saw .
Have you looked at www.pure-gas.org To see if you can find ethanol free gas in your area ?
I do a voodoo mix of 89 e0 and 110 race fuel . It makes 93 octane and comes out about $5 a gallon . I've used one of my weed eaters as a test mule ,and the gas has stayed stable for 2 years so far .

Reactions: smokinj
My new Redmax (owned by Husqvarna) has a drainback fuel system (with a priming bulb). After sitting for a while, all the fuel drains back to the tank. Starting from this condition (without priming) requires many pulls of the rope. Even with priming, the saw will not run above idle for 20-30 seconds after starting while the fuel lines and carb fill. Don't know if this has any bearing on your situation, just sayin'.

Thanks guys. Ive always got rid of bad fuel dumping a little bit at a time at every fill up. If not it gets burned. I would LOVE ethanol free gas, but they dont do that here in CT.

according to Pure gas ,it looks like you are correct . But, if You are near any marinas You might want to ask if they have E0 . Also, If You have a local airport ,look to see if You can get 100 ll ,or 100 vll .

HatCityIAFF, I've decided that with both of my newer saw's, a 372x and 346xp respectively, I'm only going to run the canned premix. I don't a burn a lot of fuel and I feel it's better in the long run for the saw's.

My bad gas happens, wife don't like though!

Status
Not open for further replies.