Bad gasket on by-pass.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HotCoals

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2010
Rochester,Ny.
For some reason the gasket is gone on the right side(facing) of the by-pass.
Look at the temp diff from side to side.
Stove has been in low burn for several hours...was a bigger diff yet earlier.
Anyways might be a way to check your gasket without reaching up in there...don't know for sure.
You can even see the paint has faded on that side.

Attachments

• winona 2012 001.jpg
    winona 2012 001.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 189
  • winona 2012 002.jpg
    winona 2012 002.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 186
Do you know how much higher is the stack temp reading than "normal"?

I had my pipe off yesterday when I ran the sooteater up the chimney and mine looked like new at this point.

rdust said:
Do you know how much higher is the stack temp reading than "normal"?

I had my pipe off yesterday when I ran the sooteater up the chimney and mine looked like new at this point.

I'm usually at 250-275 in cruise..now it's closer to 350 most of the time.
I notice it more on reload when I'm getting things charred..the temp will go over 450 easy where it didn't before.
Not only that my cat gasket is shot...noticed the cat was lose where it sits a week or so ago.
Came right out easy and no sign of a gasket.

Can you get at the bypass damper with the cat out?

weatherguy said:
Can you get at the bypass damper with the cat out?
You can but I would think it would be easier to change it out with the pipe out..dunno.

I just fired up the night load and I had higher temps behind the cat on the right side then in the center of the cat...700 compared to 600 and the left was around 350.
Must be that little bit of extra air getting up behind the cat past the by-pass is doing something!

Status
Not open for further replies.