Bad luck

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

apandori

Aug 18, 2014
Glenville, NY
Good thing we have an oil furnace back up for the pellet stove. Yesterday a big chunk of ice fell off the roof and hit the vent on the outside of the house and wrecked my vent pipe. On the interior it pulled m elbow out. I'm just glad the house didn't start on fire. Going to have to build a cover for the vent pipe next year looks like.

Yeah. We weren't home when it happened, luckily the cats didn't get killed from CO gas.

Reactions: apandori
Glad everyone and everything is okay!

I worry about one of my vents as it sticks out almost 2 feet (the other one is only about 1'). My eaves are 3 feet wide, but with the sliding snow, you never know if it will curl back under. Hoping to do a little reconfiguration this summer and shorten that one up a bit as well as give it more vertical rise.

Glad everyone and everything is okay!

I worry about one of my vents as it sticks out almost 2 feet (the other one is only about 1'). My eaves are 3 feet wide, but with the sliding snow, you never know if it will curl back under. Hoping to do a little reconfiguration this summer and shorten that one up a bit as well as give it more vertical rise.

I'm going to install snow guard molding on the metal roof. That 11/12 pitch will hold snow only so long. When it comes down from two stories up, it does so with a thunderous noise, it would easily take off the new vent pipe.

images

I have the same worry as my roofline is 30ft up. I will check where the ice is dropping as it has busted window plastic covers in my basement. Thanks for the heads up.

Status
Not open for further replies.