1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Bad news for coffee

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by begreen, Jun 11, 2013.

1. firebroad

firebroad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carroll County, MD
    I love coffee. I also am fond of good tea, brewed loose. Did you know that tea was once such an expensive luxury item that people owned tea safes, to lock up their stash? I wonder if that will happen with coffee.
    Can see it in the newspaper now--"Major Heist of Armored Truck Bound for Starbucks"_g
    Joful likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. pdf27

pdf27 Member

Loc:
    UK
    The prime suspect for Colony Collapse Disorder over here is Neonicotinoid pesticides, which have just been banned over here for 2 years - see http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22335520 .
    If we wait a year or two and we stop having problems with it, that'll be fairly conclusive evidence.
  3. Jack Straw

Jack Straw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y
    Well, that's the end of my coffee enamas......
    Joful likes this.
  4. firebroad

firebroad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carroll County, MD

_g
    ScotO likes this.
  5. Jack Straw

Jack Straw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y

I know, pics or it didn't happen.........
    Joful and firebroad like this.
  6. mywaynow

mywaynow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast
    This may be one that we can forgo pics to verify. Thanks anyway.
    ScotO likes this.
  7. Lake Girl

Lake Girl Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    The Starbucks heist could happen .. There was a maple syrup heist in Quebec a year or two ago ;)

As to lack of biodiversity and GM foods, I bet that there are wheat farmers in Oregon that are not happy that their sales to Japan were just flushed because of Monsanto's lack of control on their GM test farms (those darn bees not staying in one field or was it the birds or the wind!). The mid-west may have problems too. http://ca.news.yahoo.com/eu-test-u-wheat-shipments-block-gmo-strain-100808757.html?.tsrc=samsungwn

And while some may think Natural News is junk science (no opinion at this point they`re new to me), they do come up with what seems to be legitimate research. While the title of the article was less than glamorous ("GMO feed turns pigs stomachs to mush"), the study they referenced makes one wonder about GM food stuffs. Some partners were - University of Adelaide, AU; Institute of Health and Environmental Research, AU.
    http://www.organic-systems.org/journal/81/8106.pdf

A farmer in Saskatchewan nearly lost his farm due to uncontrolled GM infiltration into his canola - Monsanto`s Round-Up Ready canola. While he technically lost his case since he did replant the seed and did not argue that Monsanto ruined 50 years of his own seed research, he had to turn over $20,000. But it could have been worse, he did not have to pay damages or Monsanto's court costs.
    Monsanto Canada Inc. v. Schmeiser
  8. billb3

billb3 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass
    Joful likes this.
  9. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Peak coffee?
    Joful and Frozen Canuck like this.
  10. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Yeah, after looking further into that site, me's thinking the same thing!!;em
  11. BobUrban

BobUrban Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Michigan
    Not good at all!! But it is good to see we have others here that are as obsessed with good coffee as I am. Another great resource for home roasting equipment and green coffee is Sweetmarias.com

I have some pretty solid connections in the specialty coffee industry so I will be checking with them as to the extent of the problem from an insider point of view.
    Joful likes this.
  12. blujacket

blujacket Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Carrollton,Ohio

!!! ;lol