Bad Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wnypelletburner

Dec 7, 2011
WNY
I just bought a ton of pellets, trailered them home, carried one-by-one into my basement to find that the corner of each bag is not sealed and pellets are coming out! I'm new to the pellet stove and wonder how concerned I should be. I've contacted the company and they said they would take care of me and to let them know if I lose product or if i can manage the way they are. What should I do? Will they absorb significant moisture in the air?

wnypelletburner said:
I just bought a ton of pellets, trailered them home, carried one-by-one into my basement to find that the corner of each bag is not sealed and pellets are coming out! I'm new to the pellet stove and wonder how concerned I should be. I've contacted the company and they said they would take care of me and to let them know if I lose product or if i can manage the way they are. What should I do? Will they absorb significant moisture in the air?

They need direct water contact to start disintegrating.

I run a dehumidifier in my basement where I store my pellets. I also keep a roll of duct tape nearby when handling pellets.

Unless they touch water, youre gunna be fine. No worries.

If you look at the bags closer, there are some air holes punched in by design.

Yours should be fine if they aren't swelling up. You'll know it when you see it.

Maybe they'd toss you a couple of bags of pellets to make up for the inconvenience of spilled pellets. Can't hurt to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.