Bad Roads

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I was coming back this afternoon when I came upon this accident, (truck & oil truck) looked real bad at the time, tough going but made it home just when the wind was picking up.

http://mpcourier.com/section/dco_breakingnews#2012120119912

Looks like everything 10 miles north of here received lots of ice and wet snow, we're getting some snow with the wind. Lights have flickered a few times.

zap

Ice storms are the worst. I will take snow first.

Luckily we didn't get the ice that they were forecasting here. The wind picked up earlier than expected and dried the roads a bit before the temperature really dropped.

I was listening to the county sheriff and state highway patrol on my scanner last night, and again this morning. The roads were still pretty bad. Lots of accidents and cars ending up in the ditches.

Makes me glad I'm working from home for the most part these days. I don't have to battle the crappy weather/roads and can tend to the fire all day, staying nice and toasty warm!

-SF

Loon, they just opened up two shelters, one in Ogdensburg NY and the second one in Canton NY. We lucked out, stayed above freezing on Thursday and Friday morning, we also missed the heavy wet snow but still have four inches of the white stuff.

zap

There are 5 of us at the sewage plant that have been going since Wednesday night..Very thankful for the fella that invented the diesel engine ;-) no home owners have had a problem with their basements so far. couple guys are staying at the plant tonight as its supposed to drop to minus holy crap overnight :blank:

good luck over there man..

loon

Had a guy come down who said he lived an hour north of Fort Hood to look at a vehicle.
He bought it, got plates at the last minute at the DMV, and headed for home about an hour ago.
I'll worry about him and his wife all night. Talk about a long azz day. Just hope it's let up a little up there.
Kenny

The stomach is full, the basement is 81 with the upstairs livingroom at 72, we missed the worst of this storm. I was telling my wife that last year the storms went north and south of us, this time we stayed above freezing for the whole day Thursday plus this morning.

Ten miles north of here the trees are covered with ice and that wet snow, had some good winds for about one hour but since we had very little ice and snow we still have power.

Keep that plant crankin.

Stay Safe
Zap

We've only got a dusting here in Rensselaer County, but
the temperature has dropped to the 20s, & SH*T's gotten
pretty slick... Not at all good for driving...Hope my daughters
have enough since to stay where they are for the night. Last
thing I wanna do is get the truck & the tow strap out & hafta
pull em out of a ditch...

At work today ,I got a call from the gf around 11:30 saying power was out. All I had to do when I got home around 5:00 was drag the generator out of the shed.5 minutes later , the power returns. lol .

from the way your describing it, it sounds like the storm we got on Halloween
lost power here from downed trees for 9 days

we ended up getting 3 inches from this last storm and luckily no ice

was wicked windy last night though...40-50 mph i'd say

Status
Not open for further replies.