Bad season startup, again

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikhen

Oct 8, 2011
Oley, pa
Why is it, that every year on first start up, the stove pipe leaks? This year, it's at the bottom cap. I have had a faulty pipe from the start. After install, it didn't hold smoke on the inside. We called the shop and they told us they need to be siliconed together, although thats not what the manufacturer said. Then later, the shop told us the rope gaskets prevent the need for silicone. We ended up siliconing all the joints, but at least one leaks at start up. Why?;?

Might want to put some aluminum tape on it . That should take care of it.

1inch self bonding silicone tape is great for those pesky joints. Stretches and really seals nice and tight. About 5 bucks for a ten foot roll. Easy to cut the seam and make adjustments to joint if need be.

Reactions: slvrblkk
1inch self bonding silicone tape is great for those pesky joints. Stretches and really seals nice and tight. About 5 bucks for a ten foot roll. Easy to cut the seam and make adjustments to joint if need be.

Where do you pick it up?
Is it the same as the rubber electrical tape? (NOT the vinyl stuff... the RUBBER stuff, that self seals?)

Yep! Same stuff!
More uses for it than I thought, apparently. :)

It beats using that gooy stuff from a tube and waiting for hours for it to setup and it locking up the joints. They both have their place.

It looks like Home Depot sells a version of the silicone tape. Heading there tonight.

Yep! Home depot stocks it. It may be in more than one place... if you have trouble go to the Electrical Dpt. It should be near the regular electrical tape.

I got the Gardner bender at the electrical dept of a regional box store(Menards) for 4.99

Good to know about that stuff. I used aluminum tape and the adhesive welded itself to the pipe. <> Paint thinner time now.

Just went through that project yesterday on a new for the shop stove. I feel it's a more positive way to go with it stretching then bonding. No wrinkles etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.