Bad smell coming from chimney, any ideas?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

albertj03

Minister of Fire
Oct 16, 2009
Southern Maine
Since I've been burning wood over the last 4+ years I've sometimes noticed a smell coming from my chimney that I can't explain. It's happened with both woodstoves I've burned in, inexpensive Century EPA stove from Lowes and now my Pacific Energy Super 27. I only notice it when the secondary's are cranking and the stove is at peak temps usually in the 550 - 650 range. It almost smells like someone is burning trash, very hot with a metallic smell to it. I have my chimney cleaned every year with usually very minimal creosote and burn only seasoned oak, maple, birch, ash and even am lucky enough to have scored some seasoned black locust this year. The wood is seasoned out in the open with plenty of sun and is covered year round. I've long suspected that the foul smell has something to do with my tall chimney. The house is a 2 story, plus basement, colonial with the stove in the basement. I'm not sure exactly how tall the chimney is but it's probably close to 40'. It's a clay lined masonry chimney and the flue size is 11"x7". The stove is connected directly to the chimney with 6" single wall stove pipe with a stainless steel connector going into the chimney. Someone told me that my description of the smell sounded like creosote burning but I check the chimney once a week and there is only a very thin layer of soot on the sides of the flue. At the end of the season there usually is a thin layer of creosote in the top section of the stove pipe that is more sticky or gooey but not a lot.

Can anybody offer any possible explanations as to why my chimney produces this foul smell or ways that I can prevent it from happening?

It's a "burnt smoke" smell. The re-burning of the smoke via catalyst or non-cat technologies causes it. You don't want to prevent it.

That is what is left over from a nearly complete combustion. Kind of like a chemical smell. And that basically is what it is.

I agree with the others, when I first bought my EPA stove I had never been around a stove that burnt the smoke. When the secondaries are going and you go outside, it almost smells like someone is burning anthricite or 'clean coal'....doesn't smell like wood smoke at all! That is completely normal, and your stove is working properly....

Thanks for the help everyone! I'm glad to know it's normal to have this sort of smell and it basically means that my stove is burning very efficiently. I wish it wasn't as strong as it can be sometimes but at least I'm not spewing smoke all over the place.

Maybe my strong draft intensifies it somewhat because it can be pretty strong. I'd have to imagine that if my neighbor was smelling it all the time he probably would have said something but he never has. I know that if I was smelling that smell all the time coming from another house I wouldn't be happy.

I get a totally different smell with the cat burning vs my wood furnace when it is burning hot and clean. The cat stove kinda stinks, the furnace makes a pleasant, almost sweet smell. My corn furnace burned with a similar smell when the thermostat called for heat. The corn furnace put out a nasty stink when it was idling, and unless the wood furnace was cranking it smelled, well, smoky.

Most of the time, I don't notice any odor at all. Seems to be the strongest in the first hour or two on a fresh load, when the cat has a lot of smoke to burn.

I do not get that smell.

I do not think I would like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.