Bad smell when hot on regular Buck

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sclarke

Oct 21, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
I have a regular Buck inserted into a masonry fireplace/chimney. I does not have a liner. I have sealed everything as best I can with hi heat silicone and insulation I bought from a wood stove salesman. When I get the stove real hot, it smells up the house. there is no smoke inside but there is some smell. could it be the bricks? I really cant describe the smell. silicone, gaskets, paint? does anyone else have issues with this?
thanks

It sounds to me like you may have a cracked fire box. When the firebox is cracked, you will get smoke and other gases/fumes drawn into the inner chamber where the air blows through. Although the crack may not be large enough for you to see smoke in the house, odors will get blown into the room. I could be wrong. You may want to let the fire die out, remove all ash and brick from the firebox, and inspect it very well with good lighting. If the stove is cracked, you can have it re-welded. The most common area for cracks to form are on the rear wall and anywhere along the bottom edge. Also, check your door gaskets.

Status
Not open for further replies.