Bad start to vacation, calling insurance tomorrow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blacktail

Minister of Fire
Sep 18, 2011
Western WA
Just started vacation. Pipe leaking in the wall. Ugh.

Last edited:
Drain or pressure? Recent or long term? Pex is so cool. So easy to repair with. I keep a pair of butt connectors and a length of pex for just such a problem. The real damage is the water damage to the finishes.

Reactions: 7acres
Copper pipe coming from the hot water heater in the garage has a pinhole leak. Not sure how long it was leaking. Already pulled the wall apart and tossed the wet insulation. My laminate flooring near the wall is swelled up. I would have noticed sooner if it wasn't all behind and under my computer desk.

Not saying don't call your insurance, but you may want to have the damage quoted first and figure out how much it is worth to you to have fixed. Water damage can hike rates.

Reactions: Highbeam
Sorry to hear it.

If the leak is from the pipe itself and not a soldered joint, this may be the first warning sign that the copper pipes are reaching their end of life. Or it could be some solder flux from long ago sat on that spot inside the pipe and started the process of deterioration. Either way, you may want to start inspecting the rest of the copper pipes.

How old are they?

Can you see what type they are (M or L)?

I too live in WA and my 1963 built house had all copper until I cut it all out and replaced it with pex home runs. Even got a good bit of cash for all of the removed copper.

My drain lines are all copper too. Those guys are staying but I bet the scrap value of 3" copper pipe isn't too bad.

House was built in 1990. It's been a huge pain in the rear getting people moving, or even getting people on the phone. My insurance agent was worthless.
I finally got some traction yesterday and got a few people out to look at it. It took a lot of phone calls but I found an available plumber to make the needed repairs. He also tested my water and said it shouldn't cause any harm to copper pipes. My water district probably serves a couple thousand customers and I've never heard anything about the water causing these kinds of issues.
The good news is that the damage isn't severe and the cost will be manageable. My insurance won't even be involved.
One neighbor has a friend that does drywall. I already spoke with him. I installed the laminate floor when I bought the house and I'll be replacing it myself in the affected room.

Reactions: vinny11950
I put new cork floor down today. Matching the old cherry wood grain wasn't possible, so I went with something totally different. I really like the look and feel. I'll get the trim, moulding, and transitions down tomorrow. Then I can put the furniture and rugs back.
After my neighbor's contractor buddy failed to call me back twice, my dad and YouTube helped me do the drywall and texture.
IMG_20160919_231044290.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.